Puzzle #4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #4 is a wood identification contest.

Someone once made a pencil from the blank shown in the attached photo.

Your challenge:
1. Identify the type of wood
2. Identify the turner who made a pencil from this blank (by user name or real name)

Each answer is worth 1 point if you get it right. If you can't find the turner, send in a guess for the wood - you might at least get 1 point.

Send your answers to iap.puzzles@gmail.com and be sure to include your user name in the message and put Puzzle #4 in the subject field.

As always, only one entry per person. Banter is encouraged, but please don't post any correct answers or strong hints.

This contest will close at noon CST on Thur, Feb 14.

Attachments

• Puzzle4 Blank.jpg
    Puzzle4 Blank.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Edgar, not fair to intentionally blur the photo... A snowball? An icy driveway? Maybe a ski run??

Oh well, only 39,388 threads in SOYP - I'd better get busy. See ya in 2024.

Last edited:

Talltim

Don't know about the blank but that is a nice looking taco Ernie! Perfect setting for the photo and undoubtedly well turned before you were finished. Matches perfectly with the plate. The jalapeño made the perfect accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't know about the blank but that is a nice looking taco Ernie! Perfect setting for the photo and undoubtedly well turned before you were finished. Matches perfectly with the plate. The jalapeño made the perfect accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Oh Yes, Taco's de Lomo!! My favorite! And this place is as close to authentic Mexico as it gets! $1.75 taco's that are loaded down.

Chief TomaToe

Now THOSE are tacos!

As for the pencil... I think I may have found it...

One thing that is interesting about these puzzles is it has greatly increased my ability to navigate the site and be fruitful when digging in the archives. Is Edgar really running a puzzle, or is he really secretly trying train us???

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Now THOSE are tacos!

As for the pencil... I think I may have found it...

One thing that is interesting about these puzzles is it has greatly increased my ability to navigate the site and be fruitful when digging in the archives. Is Edgar really running a puzzle, or is he really secretly trying train us???

I thought outside the box when I did my search :) Found it fairly easy, assuming I submitted the correct answers

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #4 Results

We had 21 entries for Puzzle #4 -- 16 people earned 2 points. No one earned just 1 point.

The correct answers were:
Wood: Cottonwood (or spalted Cottonwood)
Pencil Maker: teslabolt77 (real name: Jeremy Davis

The thread containing his pencil is here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/cottonwood-pencil-116780/

All I did to the photo was to use Photoshop to rotate and crop the blank. I did not adjust the color or tint.

Several people guessed various woods in an attempt to earn one point without having found Jeremy's post, but none came up with Cottonwood in their guess.

Thanks for playing,
Edgar

Top Bottom