Puzzle #1 Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
We had a total of 28 entries for Puzzle # 1

9 People submitted the correct answer which was

OSAGE ORANGE

Everyone who submitted a correct entry will earn 1 point toward the overall puzzle prizes. By random draw, the winners of the individual prizes for this puzzle are:

Matthew Sprunger (Sprung)
Leo S. Long (Leo S. Long)

Congratulations to Matthew & Leo and thanks to all who entered.

I will post the prizes for Matthew & Leo as soon as I can clarify a couple of things with the BASH CEO & Prizemeister. I want to be sure that I get it right.

Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

I'd have gotten on the first day, but I missed the first Puzzle thread! I saw it and knew it was Osage Orange - then saw I was a day late and a dollar short. And then saw the reboot with the new picture and knew for certain!

Two years ago I had a couple big, old slabs of Osage Orange in my shop - one was 9" wide, 3 1/2" thick, and 8' long before it got cut up! The other was half as thick and half the length, but was about 16" wide. They sat in a local Minnesota barn for at least 15 years before I got them - the person I got them from had brought the logs up from somewhere in the south and had them milled by someone, dried them in his kiln, then stacked it all in his barn. Even after passing most of it along, I still have a lifetime supply of Osage Orange left in the shop!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #1 Prizes

Here are the prizes for Puzzle #1:

Matthew Sprunger (Sprung) wins pen kit & blank #3 from Kallenshaan Woods -- this will be a Celtic Twist Pen Kit with a laser cut blank (tbd)

Leo S. Long wins prize pkg #13 from Bear Tooth Woods -- this will be a pack of 3 acrylic stopper blanks

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Ken & Ernie for providing these great prizes.

Matthew & Leo: be sure to send me your mailing addresses so we can ship your prizes to you.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'd have gotten on the first day, but I missed the first Puzzle thread! I saw it and knew it was Osage Orange - then saw I was a day late and a dollar short. And then saw the reboot with the new picture and knew for certain!

Two years ago I had a couple big, old slabs of Osage Orange in my shop - one was 9" wide, 3 1/2" thick, and 8' long before it got cut up! The other was half as thick and half the length, but was about 16" wide. They sat in a local Minnesota barn for at least 15 years before I got them - the person I got them from had brought the logs up from somewhere in the south and had them milled by someone, dried them in his kiln, then stacked it all in his barn. Even after passing most of it along, I still have a lifetime supply of Osage Orange left in the shop!

Well, I'd say that you really deserve to win one of the prizes for this puzzle Matthew. You obviously know your Osage Orange. :)

We have a number of OO trees on the farm, but none of the others are even close to the size of this one. I haven't yet decided what to do with that big log that's still lying on the ground. It's about 15-20 feet long and 12" in diameter at the top end & probably about 16" at the bottom. That area was quite wet when I picked up the loader full of smaller logs last month. I was barely able to get my tractor close enough to get those logs out of the ditch - there was no way to get that big log out at the time. I hope it will be dry enough next time we go to the farm.

If it's in good enough condition, I may take it to a mill for processing or I might just cut it up into bowl blanks with my chain saw. I need to get a better look at it to see what kind of potential is there. One thing's for sure - it's the nicest chunk of OO that I've ever gotten my hands on.

Sprung

Thank you, Edgar! And thank you to Ken & Ernie for the prizes! And congrats to Leo too!

Sprung

Well, I'd say that you really deserve to win one of the prizes for this puzzle Matthew. You obviously know your Osage Orange. :)

We have a number of OO trees on the farm, but none of the others are even close to the size of this one. I haven't yet decided what to do with that big log that's still lying on the ground. It's about 15-20 feet long and 12" in diameter at the top end & probably about 16" at the bottom. That area was quite wet when I picked up the loader full of smaller logs last month. I was barely able to get my tractor close enough to get those logs out of the ditch - there was no way to get that big log out at the time. I hope it will be dry enough next time we go to the farm.

If it's in good enough condition, I may take it to a mill for processing or I might just cut it up into bowl blanks with my chain saw. I need to get a better look at it to see what kind of potential is there. One thing's for sure - it's the nicest chunk of OO that I've ever gotten my hands on.

Well, after processing both of those slabs into smaller pieces, my shop was yellow for a long time after that - and all my saw blades for my table saw and bandsaw were dull! :eek: After a complete shop rearrange this past fall, I think I've finally got all the OO dust gone - almost 2 years after cutting it up!

The Penguin

I've processed a large OO tree into bowl blanks

having done that I would recommend one thing...don't.

:biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I was totally not close!

You probably overlooked the clue where I said that this wood was mentioned in at least two threads during January. :biggrin:

While it may not have been practical to search all the Jan threads for a possible answer, it would have been very easy to do a search on a potential guess to determine if it was even a possible answer.

I also thought that some folks might remember this particular thread & that it might serve as a memory jog...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/bodark-osage-orange-hedge-pens-138017/

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
you did mention cedar in 2 threads in January ;)

There were several woods mentioned in 2 or more threads during Jan. I didn't say that it was a definitive clue - it was merely a way to determine if a potential guess was even a possibility.

Cedar certainly fit that criteria, and I can see where the first two photos might have led folks to make that guess. However, the wood color in the 3rd photo is clearly yellow and I'm not aware of any yellow cedar wood in Texas, certainly not in Colorado County which was also a clue. :)

Leo S. Long

Well, not only am I surprised I got it right, I won also. pure guess on my part. Not really
I do happen to have some Osage Orange around. When I received it (about 20 years ago) it was lighter in color but darkened up like in the first pictures. and when you said it was on a fence row, I said to my self what the heck, because that is what they were used for mostly. I almost said something else. I am glad I didn't!

Thank you, Edgar! And thank you to Ken & Ernie for the prizes! And congrats to you to Matthew!

Leo S. Long

The Penguin

you did mention cedar in 2 threads in January ;)

There were several woods mentioned in 2 or more threads during Jan. I didn't say that it was a definitive clue - it was merely a way to determine if a potential guess was even a possibility.

Cedar certainly fit that criteria, and I can see where the first two photos might have led folks to make that guess. However, the wood color in the 3rd photo is clearly yellow and I'm not aware of any yellow cedar wood in Texas, certainly not in Colorado County which was also a clue. :)

sure - the 3rd photo was a dead giveaway.

:tongue:

markgum

nope, can't be OO, I didn't see ANY ORANGE in that tree at all.
o'well,, I'm never good at guessing wood; I find it, I turn it.
congrats to the winners.

Top Bottom