Push Button oiler ball Stuck!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I would think about replacing the fitting entirely. These are standard oil fittings and can be found at Grizzly (online), and maybe local auto supply places.

The fitting is a 6mm threaded ball oiler. I use a hypodermic needle from my dentist to squirt into the oilers.

If you go to Grizzly, make sure you telephone them. Sorry; the call will be expensive from Aus and the shipping is likely to be high. Look for an in country place that sells the lathes. Grizzly website does not show if a part is in stock or not. When you call, ask the person if it is in stock.

PS; The wheel on my apron is closest to the headstock ie reversed.

Last edited:

howsitwork

There should be a spring behind the ball so you could try a self tapping screw and , as Randy suggested rip the whole thing out then replace. They are not very expensive you just need to know diameter. Look is Australian model engineer mag for stockists who maybe able to help.

regards Ian

frank123

You can usually find those on eBay if you can't find them near you.

Would be either press fitted or screw in, screw in would probably have a slot for a screwdriver to screw it in and press fit just bare lips which can probably be used to just pry it out. Several ways to get either kind out, none to hard.

Possible it is just stuck, try using a thin rod as a punch and giving it some gentle tapping to see if you can get it to come unstuck. Remember, gentle.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
I have bought 20 X 6 mm Push Button oilers for $4.43
and 20 X 8 mm for $4.44
1 X cost $3.95 EACH here in Aust go figure?

Here is the link if any one needs it

LOT 20 Brass Push Button oiler press fit ball oiler for Hit&Miss Engine Motor | eBay

Success at last.

Remove the shear pin on head stock end of the lead screw,
undo and remove lead screw bush block on tail stock end.
Loosen the two tension cup-head screws, undo the two big cup-head screws at the front of the carriage comes of easy as pie.

Note the bonus finger prints, someone with smaller fingers than me, quick scrub with kero wouldn't budge then.

howsitwork

Skiprat

I'm with you on that one looks very like a helicoil remnant to me.

Ratty - best wishes to all those having issue with bush fires done there. Hope all are safe!

Ian

Top Bottom