Purple heart and CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Math2010

Hello!

I turned a purple heart pen blank and when I put my CA glue finish, it instantly became brown... When I turned another one and put shellawax, it stayed purple... Is there a chemical effect with the CA glue? Is there a way to keep the purple colour with CA?

Thank you

DJBPenmaker

Hello!

I turned a purple heart pen blank and when I put my CA glue finish, it instantly became brown... When I turned another one and put shellawax, it stayed purple... Is there a chemical effect with the CA glue? Is there a way to keep the purple colour with CA?

Thank you
I've done several purple heart pens with a CA finish, colour enhanced using a blowtorch first and none of them have lost their intense colour. Maybe there's a difference in CA's
Others here may know better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MikeUT

I have used Purpleheart in for pens and a few other misc. projects. In my experience, machining the wood is what turns the wood brown. I haven't had that problem with the finish. As DJBPenmaker said, a blowtorch will bring back the color. I find it easier to control the color change with a heat gun. If you can, heat the wood while the lathe is on WITHOUT the bushings in place. I use unused brass tubes as spacers. The bushings absorb a lot of the heat so it is hard to get a consistent color across the wood.

If your CA glue ends up being the actual cause, toss it and get a different CA glue. I haven't used every glue out there but I can confirm that 2-P10 and Bob Smith Industries are both great quality and won't change the color of Purpleheart.

Top Bottom