Purchasing Power Tools from Amazon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgsearle

Hi All,

Has anyone ever ordered Power Tools from Amazon? There is a nice Bosch plunge router on sale right now (sold through Amazon Prime) and I am considering buying it as an upgrade over the terrible Ryobi router I currently have. I have been told that many if not all of the Power Tools on Amazon are either rejects from mainline stores or production seconds so therefore not as good as what you can buy elsewhere. I don't know that I believe this and thought I would ask is anyone else had any experience with it.
It seems to me at least that if they are indeed lesser tools, Amazon has to declare that somewhere. Right?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I have been told that many if not all of the Power Tools on Amazon are either rejects from mainline stores or production seconds so therefore not as good as what you can buy elsewhere. I don't know that I believe this and thought I would ask is anyone else had any experience with it.
I've bought a number of electronic items, and several hand tools, but no power tools.

Amazon does seem to offer a lot of items that are clearly marked as 'renewed' which I believe are items that have been sold and returned because of some defect, and then refurbished for resale. I've been careful to avoid any of the 'renewed' items, but others may have tried them and can report on their experience.

dogcatcher

I have bought numerous tools through Amazon. Jet lathe, Rikon drill press, t[ hand power tools to list. Never had a problem except damaged in handling. Automated handling at the major shippers can break cast iron like it was cheap plastic. Both issues were quickly resolved.

Velcrodog

I have bought numerous tools through Amazon. Jet lathe, Rikon drill press, t[ hand power tools to list. Never had a problem except damaged in handling. Automated handling at the major shippers can break cast iron like it was cheap plastic. Both issues were quickly resolved.
Bought tablesaw, planer and other tools from Amazon. No problems. Even bought a 2000.00 stove that was dented in shipment. Easy no hassel refund. With free fast shipping, great return policy and 5 percent back when I use my Amazon card, it is hard to beat unless u find a really great deal locally. No, I do not work for Amazon but I do wish I had a lot of their stock.

Mortalis

I bought a Close Quarter Power Drill by Neiko on Amazon in 2020 and I use it almost every day in my bowl turning as an angle sander. I have no issues even with this known, non USA manufactured power tool.
I wouldnt hesitate ordering a very well known name brand tool from Amazon unless I could find it local for the same price. Big Box stores will price match if you're concerned. Just take the ad with you.
They may look it up to make sure the model is the same (which is big bunch of hooey as that is a game the big box stores play of having special model numbers only for their products). If you argue loud enough and hard enough if that happens they will usually give in. ;)

Mortalis

Hi All,

I have been told that many if not all of the Power Tools on Amazon are either rejects from mainline stores or production seconds so therefore not as good as what you can buy elsewhere.
Did you get that from the video buying tools for Christmas and claiming stuff about the warranties? If so, I consider that video fear mongering.

Last edited:

dgsearle

I didn't hear it directly. Someone that is also involved in woodworking told me. I think the information ultimately may have come from Reddit. I have been on enough of Reddit to doubt it's truthfulness, that's why I thought I would ask here.
I can see the problem POSSIBLY occurring if a tool is purchased from one of the independent sellers that sell on Amazon, but even then it would likely damage their reputation on the site and impact their ability to attract customers.
I think based on the responses I've seen, and the fact that the router sold by Amazon itself, I am going to go ahead and buy it.

Thanks for the information!

KenB259

I have bought Dewalt tools from them as well as a Bosch router, no problems whatsoever. You can buy refurbished tools on there but they are clearly identified as such.

jttheclockman

I too have bought a few battery operated Dewalt tools as I enlarge this line in my collection. Have had no problem. Just need to make sure the numbers match and check the data given. They can not falsely advertise. They are too big for that stuff.

Don Rabchenuk

For what it is worth, Lowes has the Bosch 1/4-in and 1/2-in 12-Amp 2.25-HP Variable Speed Combo Fixed/Plunge Corded Router Hard Case on sale thru the 27th for $179.

monophoto

They may look it up to make sure the model is the same (which is big bunch of hooey as that is a game the big box stores play of having special model numbers only for their products).
I've encountered this also - in many cases, manufacturers offer a 'good - better - best' range of options, but the big box store only sells one, often the 'good' version. The basic issue is that big box stores survive on volume, and they know that they are going to sell far more low-end or middle-of-the line products than they are high-end products. So they bulk-buy one model, and get the manufacturer to assign it a special model number, but in reality that same product is available with a different number from a dealer who carries the full line. If you want to test this, try shopping for a lawn mower at a big box store and at a specialty power equipment dealer.

But even if the specialty store offers the full ranges of models, they may not have all of the options in stock. Just last week, our kitchen faucet died and when we went to the local high-end kitchen and bath warehouse, they had a full range of replacements on display in their design showroom, but when I explained to the sales person that we needed a replacement yesterday, she took us downstairs to their plumbing supplies area where the options were limited to only a couple of manufacturers, and only a couple of models within each manufacturer's product line. We could have chosen a more exotic model, but it would have been a special order item which would have meant waiting several weeks for them to get it from the manufacturer.

Top Bottom