Pump and Grind my first pepper grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

One of my first non-pen turning projects. It was a bigger challenge than I thought it would be. Drilling a 25mm hole 4" deep was tough. I almost stuck the bit when it overheated. Squaring the ends was also a unique challenge. I made cone shaped pieces to hold the blank for turning and struggled to get it centered, I used a dial gauge to get close. I think I'll make bushings for the next one. I think it turned out nicely despite the challenges.

Danny
22041ecd970970d6fa87505d8254750d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NVSB4

I saw that kit and didn't like the way it looked.
Turns out it was just the profile that they were using as an example.
I really like the way yours turned out.

More4dan

I wasn't too sure either but I'm turning on a small 7 x 10 lathe and the smaller size fit. The quality of the materials and finish of the kit from Woodcraft were first rate. While the Grinder isn't adjustable, it does a good medium grind.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Pepper Grinder

Nice job!

Drilling the 12mm hole was a challenge for me too as I didn't have an extension for my forstner bit. I remedied that with a quick trip to Harbor Freight and the next one will be easier. With that said, I'm happy with how mine turned out and enjoy using the one-handed pepper grinder.

Attachments

• Pump 'n Grind v1F+.jpg
    Pump 'n Grind v1F+.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 200

eharri446

Woodcraft recommends that you create wooden jam chucks for each end to hold it in place. I am thinking about getting some 1 1/2 inch aluminum rod and making a set of bushings for it. I will also probably make some sleeves so that I can square up the ends unless I do them on the 1 X 20 inch belt sander.

More4dan

The person at woodcraft said to make cone shaped jam chucks which I did out of wood. They didn't work very well. They wouldn't stay in line when clamping. I had to use a dial gauge and tap each end to get close. I also plan to make bushing style ones out of aluminum for the next one. I will then square the ends on my sander after turning round.

Top Bottom