PSI venture into hash pipes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dsanek

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am sorely disappointed in PSI offering hash pipes for turning projects kits. I do not think this appropriate in any way. Now don't misunderstand me. I am certainly old enough to have lived through the '60's and I am no prude when it comes to alternative tobacco products. I just do think PSI should not get into that business. I offered this opinion to PSI and was told that it ISN'T a hash pipe, but just a pipe. uh huh. I have smoked pipes for going on 55 years and know a fine briar and a finely carved meerschaum from a cheap metal hash pipe. While I totally understand that my view may not be supported main stream, I needed to get it off my chest. I, for one, will be finding others sources for my pen turning needs and will forego PSI as a main stay.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.51.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.51.02 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am sorely disappointed in PSI offering hash pipes for turning projects kits. I do not think this appropriate in any way. Now don't misunderstand me. I am certainly old enough to have lived through the '60's and I am no prude when it comes to alternative tobacco products. I just do think PSI should not get into that business. I offered this opinion to PSI and was told that it ISN'T a hash pipe, but just a pipe. uh huh. I have smoked pipes for going on 55 years and know a fine briar and a finely carved meerschaum from a cheap metal hash pipe. While I totally understand that my view may not be supported main stream, I needed to get it off my chest. I, for one, will be finding others sources for my pen turning needs and will forego PSI as a main stay.
PSI is main my go-to and I'm a dedicated customer however I strongly agree with you. That pipe is definitely not a bird/duck call. Definitely not Meerschaum lined. Cherry blend will not be packed into it. And to go along with this I'm anti anything smoke. Goes for Vape pipes also. I'm an x 2-3pack a day guy. My brother died directly from smoking. I despise anything that gets lit and inhaled. Signed....judgemental on this end.

Last edited:

Bats

I really wanted to write something loud-mouthed, opinionated, and disagreeable here, just so I could sign off with "Put that in your pipe and smoke it"... but I just don't care enough either way.

I never much liked pot (probably one of the only drugs I could say that about, my misspent youth having extended long into my misspent adulthood), but at the same time it is legal - or in the process of becoming legal - in a rapidly increasing number of states, so it would probably be a little unreasonable to expect the turning kit companies to forever shy away from making a kit for something so popular that, just like pen kits, is basically two chunks of metal joined by a tube. I'm actually a little surprised the kits weren't already wide-spread from smaller vendors.

But one way or another, time moves on, things change, and we all inevitably get left behind.

(also, kits for fine tobacco pipes would be awesome... but I suppose that doesn't really fall into the two-chunks-of-metal-and-a-tube paradigm)

(also, I can't carve)

howsitwork

I use PSI and although I condemn the product I won't hold it against them.

I spend my days dealing with people who have self harmed in this and other ways and the disease that they self inflict as a result. Never met anyone with cancer that didn't regret smoking or wish they had stopped sooner before the stroke etc, etc

Addicts find a way of adapting normal products to their wishes and their ingenuity never ceases to amaze me , if only they dedicated the same amount of energy to helping others but ….

Stay safe people

Amanap

Its a legal product in many states so I dont have a problem with it. It is much safer than alcohol and many don't have an issue with that.

It may be because I am a tree hugger that believes all drugs should be legal but this is my opinion.

sorcerertd

I think they're pretty cool. Might even make some. I don't partake. Did more than my share in my younger years, but I 100% believe it should be legalized. Either way, you can bet PSI knows good and well that nobody's going to put pipe tobacco in those. Somebody beat them to the pipe kit. I know I have seen them before the new PSI offering, and I have seen some "tobacco sampler" kits, too (riiiiight, tobacco sampler, uh-huh).

penicillin

Before you continue reading this post, I want to be perfectly clear that I am not expressing any opinion for or against any product that Penn State and others sell. Okay?

There are several strong objections above, related to Penn State selling pipe making kits. What I find interesting is that nobody seems to object that they sell so many gun related products, police-related pen kits, and probably other products where people have strong opinions and there have been large public protests.

If you expect Penn State and others to stop selling products that are objectionable to you, where do you draw the line? How would you feel if someone posts a thread arguing that Penn State should stop selling your favorite pen kit, but that same person loves the new pipe making kit?

Repeating: I have no opinion about what Penn State should or should not sell as long as it is legal. I won't get sucked into that vortex.

- - - - -

Related:
Nobody in this thread (so far) seems to have considered that at least some places have laws that explicitly prohibit selling tobacco products to minors, including pipes. I wonder how Penn State is confirming the ages of pipe kit buyers who place orders from those places. My hunch is that they don't. Another hunch is that they may not have consulted a knowledgeable attorney before offering the pipe kit product for sale.

WriteON

Before you continue reading this post, I want to be perfectly clear that I am not expressing any opinion for or against any product that Penn State and others sell. Okay?

There are several strong objections above, related to Penn State selling pipe making kits. What I find interesting is that nobody seems to object that they sell so many gun related products, police-related pen kits, and probably other products where people have strong opinions and there have been large public protests.

If you expect Penn State and others to stop selling products that are objectionable to you, where do you draw the line? How would you feel if someone posts a thread arguing that Penn State should stop selling your favorite pen kit, but that same person loves the new pipe making kit?

Repeating: I have no opinion about what Penn State should or should not sell as long as it is legal. I won't get sucked into that vortex.

- - - - -

Related:
Nobody in this thread (so far) seems to have considered that at least some places have laws that explicitly prohibit selling tobacco products to minors, including pipes. I wonder how Penn State is confirming the ages of pipe kit buyers who place orders from those places. My hunch is that they don't. Another hunch is that they may not have consulted a knowledgeable attorney before offering the pipe kit product for sale.
To be honest I do not care what anyone does if they are not bothering me. And if it's legal it's legal. The key factor is responsibly regardless of the item. As for the laws I'm speechless. I feel for any kid that takes a 30cal bolt pen to school. Could end up on the 6:00 news.

dogcatcher

I don't care either way, but in my opinion the design is trash. I have made real tobacco pipes, they can be used the same as the PSI "junkers" are used. A real pipe generally has a stem out of softer material, Bakelite, plastic, Ebonite etc.. In my opinion the metal stem is very unappealing.

If you want to make a pipe, get some small blocks of briar, and some vulcanite stem material. Or use pat of an acrylic pen blank for the stem. Modify a 5/8 spade bit so that you can drill a round bottom hole. The bowl can be turned on a lathe, but most are shaped used a disc sander. Study what pipe stems look like and try making a few with scrap before you jump in.

Rick95602

This is just another kit...and a sales possibility. I don't smoke, but I gave the Vape kit a shot (didn't really sell any). I'm an atheist, and yet, I do the Faith/Hope/Love kit. I'm anti-gun, but, you guessed it, I do a lot of the armory type kits. So, I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist just because PSI might have a kit I don't agree with. What's important is whether or not I can sell it, and that it's a well manufactured kit. :cool:🖖

Bats

I wonder if Plastic Bubbles could be blown with that pipe. Remember then?
Super-Elastic Bubble Plastic! One of the toys I was prohibited from playing with when I was little, although I'd occasionally get some for Halloween and manage to sneak it by the parents. I think there were also some sort of bug/monster/etc molding kits that similarly fell into the "not on my carpets!" category.

From what little I remember of the bubbles, the fumes could probably get you as high as anything else you might put in the pipe.

(or maybe I was just light-headed from all the blowing)

jakoop

What are your sources? I've "semi" searched for kits like this. TIA. BTW, I'm just over the hill in Auburn (in more ways than one, I'm afraid).
I can put a basic pipe together, mouth piece, threaded barrel, elbow, large bowl and o-rings for a little over $5

Attachments

• 20210314_145201.jpg
    20210314_145201.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 20210314_145245.jpg
    20210314_145245.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 111

TonyL

People like me no longer have a voice at the ballot box, so I vote with my wallet. Unless there is no other source (which may happen soon anyway - a food lion in NC was out of Ritz Crackers due to supply chain issues), PSI can suck rope. I had addiction in my family and spent 12 years hosting Al-Anon. Free country (still somewhat)...good for PSI for exercising their right to sell what they want), maybe their next catalog will debut bongs (sp?) and hypodermics.

Curly

Of no interest to me but since Trudeau legalized it across the country there are pot shops everywhere. Probably more than liquor, beer and wine stores. How do you tell a business or individual they can't sell the paraphernalia when the weed and edibles is legal? There are no speed limits I know of in North America over 70 or 80 miles an hour but it is legal to make and sell cars capable of two or three times as much. Just stay downwind of me. I hate the smell of all smoke products. 😖

WriteON

People like me no longer have a voice at the ballot box, so I vote with my wallet. Unless there is no other source (which may happen soon anyway - a food lion in NC was out of Ritz Crackers due to supply chain issues), PSI can suck rope. I had addiction in my family and spent 12 years hosting Al-Anon. Free country (still somewhat)...good for PSI for exercising their right to sell what they want), maybe their next catalog will debut bongs (sp?) and hypodermics.
Right on target. Tony. They are very successful and do not have to be chit merchants. Have a standard. Keep it clean. Set the standard…. However it's not the case here. And NO RITZ?….That hurts.

TonyL

Right on target. Tony. They are very successful and do not have to be chit merchants. Have a standard. Keep it clean. Set the standard…. However it's not the case here. And NO RITZ?….That hurts.
Hi Frank. Always good to hear from you. I will call you my way home from work. PSI (and others) are perfectly fine selling whatever they want (some of our supplies sell similar). While I still have a choice, I am going to exercise it. Happy to pay more if I have to. No one is going out of business if I stop patronizing them, but at least I am exercise my right and that feels good to me (maybe not as good as a toke from their pipe....wouldn't know). ttyl.

TonyL

Of no interest to me but since Trudeau legalized it across the country there are pot shops everywhere. Probably more than liquor, beer and wine stores. How do you tell a business or individual they can't sell the paraphernalia when the weed and edibles is legal? There are no speed limits I know of in North America over 70 or 80 miles an hour but it is legal to make and sell cars capable of two or three times as much. Just stay downwind of me. I hate the smell of all smoke products. 😖
It is funny, but when they get screwed-up on the stuff, they need someone is who is not high to help them out.

penicillin

I am still interested in the legal aspects. What are the laws regarding shipping pipe kits to minors in places where it is illegal to sell pipes (for smoking) to minors? If your business is outside the area, are you required to verify the age of the customer? How do you do that? (Is it the simple assumption that if a customer has a credit or debit card, then they must not be a minor? ... which isn't always true, by the way.) Does it matter whether it is in kit form or not?

Addressing @TonyL's post above - Let us pray that they are not operating their lathes and other power tools while "screwed-up." ... or vehicles, for that matter.

TonyL

Received my 20% off coupon code. I am going to tell them to stick in their pipe and smoke it :). Vote with my wallet.

Don Rabchenuk

@ TonyL

I understand you being upset but, that is a lot of pens that I have seen you turn over the years that come from PSI. So are you no longer turning their products or are you just supporting them through other venders?
Just asking, please don't think wrong about the post it's just, I have seen this said before about something else and the people kept supporting the company by purchasing the other things they made from someone else but in the end it all goes back to the parent company.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to get in on this thread, but as for PSI and their pipes... if a company offers a product I need or want, don't care what else they may offer or who owns the company I will still buy from them.... we're living in a global society now where we don't really know where products
are made... the important thing is whether the products we buy are quality products and not just some shoddy knock off.
I don't do pens or pipes as such any more, but still shop PSI on occasion for items I may need/want.

TonyL

@ TonyL

I understand you being upset but, that is a lot of pens that I have seen you turn over the years that come from PSI. So are you no longer turning their products or are you just supporting them through other venders?
Just asking, please don't think wrong about the post it's just, I have seen this said before about something else and the people kept supporting the company by purchasing the other things they made from someone else but in the end it all goes back to the parent company.

Just food for thought.
Nope.....won't but anything that I believe they make (to the best of my knowledge) I do know their kits pretty well. >80% of what I make/turn are PSI kits. I mainly give those away as gifts (Executives and Schmidt Clicks). I sell mainly medium- to higher-end JT Gents.
Others can do what they want; I would never judge them or encourage them to take the same position that I do. "Voting" with my wallet ensures that my vote counts. I am not going to change anything anywhere; merely exercising my conscience.

I did write to them. Merely said that I will buy from them and their products when they stop selling illicit drug paraphernalia (I don't care if it is made legal all over the world...good for the world). They don't care and I am sure want their product. I am all for capitalism. Have a great one and thanks for thought. Again, not asking anyone to do anything.

Madman1978

I for one, do not get why anyone is upset with this.
First, these are not HASH pipes. Yes, you could smoke hash in it but most likely they are used for some 420 fun!
Second, your calling this a hash pipe shows your age. Sorry, but it does.
Thrid, Many states, like min, allow recreational weed. I myself use Gummies since I cant smoke anything. I use it when my pain levels are high. No pun intended. TCH helps relax the muscles and can aid in sleeping.

Gentleman, please come out of the dark. Be open and accepting. Life is so much better when you do.

Stitch0852

As a retired Navy Veteran, I have never been into drugs, legal or illegal. However, as I spent 20 plus years of my life in the defense of this country and all her laws and values, I believe a company can sell whatever they want as long as it is legal. Whilst marijuana is not legal in the federal system, there are many states where it is. In addition, many more states have marijuana legal for medical reasons. That being said, I say if someone finds a drug that helps them medically, power to them. Our medical system refuses to treat folks in many cases with the best solution because of money (my opinion). In fact, many drugs today are so high priced that many cannot afford treatment because of those prices.
If Penn State can sell these kits, power to them! It is not any of my business what they sell. It is not something I will be purchasing because marijuana is still illegal in my state. However, should this state legalize it, then I may purchase if customers indicate they would purchase a finished product made with one.
I refuse to get indignant because they are selling something others find reprehensible. They are a free business. When we start dictating what a business can sell, then we sink away from democracy our country runs on.

Fine Engineer

I can put a basic pipe together, mouth piece, threaded barrel, elbow, large bowl and o-rings for a little over $5
Koop,
Could you post some sources of those parts? I'd like to make a couple of these.

Jeff

Fine Engineer

I fully understand taking a stand against a company that does things you don't like or approve of. I don't do business with companies that support things I find objectionable. But this seems pretty ridiculous to me. PSI has a couple of thousand items that they sell, and people are getting their knickers in a twist because of one item on that list? Really?

I can see if they are using sweatshop labor, source materials from controversial 3rd world countries, or use offshore accounts to circumvent taxes, but offering one tiny weed pipe (located deep in their site so that you have to search a bit to even find it) is enough to cause boycotting? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Just my $0.02.

Jeff

tjcmagic

Hello everyone. I don't smoke and I rarely drink. That said I believe that alcohol has caused more harm to the user and the people around them than smoking Marijuana does. I may have missed the post but I have not read any arguments against Penn State bottle openers, wine stoppers, or pouring spouts kits. It's a new market and I for one will probably make a few and see if they sell.

jttheclockman

Hello everyone. I don't smoke and I rarely drink. That said I believe that alcohol has caused more harm to the user and the people around them than smoking Marijuana does. I may have missed the post but I have not read any arguments against Penn State bottle openers, wine stoppers, or pouring spouts kits. It's a new market and I for one will probably make a few and see if they sell.
Tom, Tom, Tom. Very first post here and you choose to find a controversial thread?? You joined in 2014. Just curious. Why did you not post to the thread back when it was first posted? You as well as everyone else is entitled to their opinion .:)

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, Tom, Tom. Very first post here and you choose to find a controversial thread?? You joined in 2014. Just curious. Why did you not post to the thread back when it was first posted? You as well as everyone else is entitled to their opinion .:)

Maybe he didn't see it?

monophoto

Like Jeff, I choose to not do business with companies whose business practices I find offensive. Likewise, I also choose to not do business with companies who use their public visibility to take positions partisan positions on private matters that shouldn't be their concern or who try to impose the political or religious beliefs of the business owners on their customers.

But I don't withhold my business from companies simply because they sell stuff I don't want to buy. The fact that I despise asparagus doesn't keep me from shopping at a grocery store that sells asparagus.

I won't buy the pipes sold by PSI, and they have a number of pen kits that I also don't care for. But I do like Benjamin's Best tools and Barracuda chucks.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Please allow me to apologize for JT.

Tom, you are certainly allowed to post whenever and wherever you want to.
AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! What is with the apologizing for my words?? I am a big boy. Stop it already. Can't anyone be curious? Can you at least let him answer if he so chooses.

Tom let me be the first to Welcome you to the site. Maybe life got in the way and you did not follow the site when you first joined and just now catching up on some reading. It happens. Hope my query was not taken in a derogative way. It was not meant to be but excuse my curious nature. As you read through that posting you had to notice some different takes on the subject and you added your thoughts with a bit of (do not know how to say this without having Chris apologize again for me) salt. I do not believe you missed any negative posts regarding the sale of wine stoppers, bottle openers and such as you say but as others have mentioned about companies being able to sell things as they chose as long as within legal rights. I for one wish you well with your sales of these pipes if you chose to go that way. I am sure there maybe some people who find Pizza as offensive for various reasons and refuse to buy their Pizza cutters.:):)

Anyway, again welcome and hope you stop by the introductory page and tell us a little about yourself and maybe share some photos of your work. Especially if you do get into the pipes things. Happy Turning.

Top Bottom