PSI titanium bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Does anyone have experience with the titanium plating on the PSI bottle stoppers? Do they hold up better than the chrome? I've had the chrome stoppers pit and flake after a few months of use, so I've started using only stainless steel.

I really like the look of some of the new titanium platings but don't know if they will hold up to the acid in the wine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

My 'daily carry' stopper is a PSI black titanium. I've been using it for about four years, with no indication of any problem.

CSUSA used to have a page in their catalog that compared the various platings used on pens. The gave the titanium platings the highest rating of any of the platings they compared. Obviously, pen duty is different from stopper duty, but I suspect that the information is still pertinent.

Of course, if you want absolute permanence, use stainless steel.

KenV

Sharon

I had pitting problems with titanium plating when used for longer term use. Stainless will get some discolorarion but nothing more.

For short use, probably ok

Long term was with sherry and ports.

sbwertz

Thanks, Ken. Since this is going to be in a charity auction that costs $75 to get in the door, I think I will stick with stainless.

sbwertz

Could someone email me the instruction sheet for the PSI bottle stopper chuck? It doesn't seem to be available on the list of instruction sheets on PSI. Two members were kind enough to send us chucks, but I don't have the instruction sheet for it. I have several volunteers and keep a notebook of all the instruction sheets for the things we turn so if I am not there, they can look up the instructions.

jttheclockman

Could someone email me the instruction sheet for the PSI bottle stopper chuck? It doesn't seem to be available on the list of instruction sheets on PSI. Two members were kind enough to send us chucks, but I don't have the instruction sheet for it. I have several volunteers and keep a notebook of all the instruction sheets for the things we turn so if I am not there, they can look up the instructions.

Not sure what instructions you would need. It pretty self explanatory but here is their page if this is the one you have. Maybe it will help. Click read more under discription.

Here is a list of all their instructions. Maybe you can find what you are looking for in there as you scroll down. They do sell a lot of items.

www.pennstateind.com/library.php

www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-BS1-MJ.html

Last edited:

sbwertz

I just thought there would be a sheet with it that told what size bit to use without tapping, what size bit to use with a tap, what size tap to use, and what size bit to use with an insert.

I can make up a sheet to go in the notebook if nothing comes with the chuck.

jttheclockman

I just thought there would be a sheet with it that told what size bit to use without tapping, what size bit to use with a tap, what size tap to use, and what size bit to use with an insert.

I can make up a sheet to go in the notebook if nothing comes with the chuck.

I updated the link for you Sharon. Their list of instructions may help.

As I mentioned if you click on read more in the discription of the item it does give you drill bit sizes and some more info. If you are using outside inserts then you need to have those specs. Each insert is not the same.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Thanks, John, but there doesn't seem to be a listing for the chuck...just for the stopper kits. Maybe nothing comes with it?

I'll just make up a sheet to go in the notebook.

vtgaryw

I'll never use any stopper other than stainless. I kept one of the first stoppers I ever made and used it myself, within a year the plating was all pitted and discolored. I sold all of the rest of my plated stopper kits on eBay after that.

Gary

sbwertz

Thanks, Gary. I think that would be my best solution. I wish PSI had more stainless steel kits. I have been sticking with PSI because their mandrel screws on to the headstock instead of mounting in a jacob's chuck in the headstock. Our Jacobs chuck won't take a drawbar, so I don't like to try to turn with it in the headstock for fear it will back out and hurt one of my blind turners.

I did see a drill chuck that mounted directly on the headstock's 1x8 threads, but the chuck didn't look like it was very well made.

monophoto

My 'daily carry' stopper is a PSI black titanium. I've been using it for about four years, with no indication of any problem.

CSUSA used to have a page in their catalog that compared the various platings used on pens. The gave the titanium platings the highest rating of any of the platings they compared. Obviously, pen duty is different from stopper duty, but I suspect that the information is still pertinent.

Of course, if you want absolute permanence, use stainless steel.

Update - this morning, I replaced the black titanium stopper that has been my EDC for the past five years with a Ruth Niles stainless stopper, retaining the turned top.

The problem was that the plating was failing - the original black shiny surface had become dull and the plating was starting to 'bubble'. And when I unscrewed the metal base from the turning, I found that the threaded stud showed signs of rust. I never wash the stopper, but I do rinse it off and dry it after use, but apparently that wasn't good enough.

I kept the original turning because it was special - white oak from a tree harvested from our property, my first captive ring turning, and my first experience finishing a piece with pure Tung Oil.

Its interesting to note that the Tung Oil finish on the turning lasted longer than the finish on the plated metal stopper.

Curly

Sharon, Ruth Niles has instructions on her site. The threads on hers and the PSI stoppers are the same so the method of work will be the same.

Top Bottom