PSI No Press Executive Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Several years ago, PSI introduced 3 kits that utilize brass tubes threaded on both ends so that you don't have to use a pen press to force the barrel onto the finial & nib. . You just screw the nib into one end of the brass tube and screw the finial piece into the other end.

First question ... has anybody tried any of those "No Press" kits ... and what do you think of them ?

One of those kits is the Executive "No Press" ... for example, see ... https://www.pennstateind.com/store/MCM-EXCH.html

For comparison, here is a link to the normal Executive that requires pressing parts together ... https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKEXECPENC.html

One of the significant differences between the two is the brass tube diameters : 3/8" for the "normal" Exec., and 10 mm ( about 0.020" larger diam. ) for the "No Press".

Second question ... why did they go to a slightly larger brass tube diameter for the "No Press" version ? . The increase of only 0.020" on the diam. seems pretty small.
But I suppose that when you are adding threads to the brass tube even a little increase in size could be helpful. . But they could have reduced the bore of the brass tube.

Now then, if you compare the website pictures for the "normal" and "No Press" versions you'll notice that the "No Press" has a straight profile while the "normal" is bulged.

Third question ... is the straight profile for the "No Press" a real consequence of the change made to put threads on the internal brass tube ? . Just wondering.

Anyway, the main thing I am aiming at by launching this thread is to solicit opinions on the "No Press" concept from those who have actually tried it.

The other two kits that were brought out in "No Press" versions are the "Comfort No Press" and the "Diva No Press". . Comments about them would be welcome also.

Fourth question ... Why did PSI not develop "No Press" versions of other products in addition to the Executive, the Comfort, and the Diva ?

Any ideas on that ? Was the market acceptance for the three "No Press" versions not great enough to warrant applying the concept to other pen kits ?

I would have thought that the "No Press" idea was a very good idea and that it should have "caught on". . But it seems that was not the case. . Comments ?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I can only think they had complaints with the threads getting gunked up with glue and the parts not fitting. Look how many people have problems keeping glue out of their tubes resulting in cracks. Unless they sold thread taps to chase the glue, which wouldn't be effective in bad cases, They would be a source of problems. Way more than the perceived convenience.

magpens

@Curly
Thanks for your reply .... you make a very good point which I never thought of . The threads are so close to the glue when gluing in the tube !!!!!
Of course, you can use some raw potato to plug the tube end in an ATTEMPT to keep out the glue !!!

Top Bottom