Full Review PSI Magnetic Vertex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Instructions are included in each kit package. Packaging is better than most. I did one of these because I carry them in the store but I will still give an honest assessment. I did a Chrome finish.

Pro's

Easy to turn single barrel design and probably the easiest assembly of any kit I've ever seen.

All the parts were in the kit and were pretty well made and finished.

The final pen looks good. I think I might like Gun Metal or Brushed Satin finishes better. The chrome is really bright. The magnetic cap will wobble slightly but that has to be unless a magnet too strong to pull the cap off was used. Posted the cap gives the pen a slightly top heavy feel.

Cons.

PSI needs to revisit the instructions ... a 10.5mm drill bit (not from PSI) produced a hole way too big and I had to discard a blank drilled with it. 13/32 inch produced much better results.

I turned to the bushings and my opinion is that either PSI sent me the wrong bushings or they need to be bigger. The couplers on either end of the blank are double "ridged" but the bushings seem to be sized to the flat part of the couplers between the ridges to the turned blank seems too small. I would turne these next time to be proud of the bushings.

All in all it is a pretty decent kit if you like the look of metal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I like the kit and have been making them for quite awhile. My mainstay with it is a nice piece is olivewood.

Always used the 10.5mm bit and never noticed a problem.

I had some tbc bushings custom made because the blank ended up so thin and there is a kit more room up to the 'bead'. Also nice is that you can flip the pen around if you want a different orientation to the blank.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Fireengines

I think the biggest con is the magnetic top.

It can zap credit card strips. For me, I used it for a carry pen for a while but stopped when it came in contact with my building access card when I placed it in my shirt pocket.

deedubl

I just finished a Vertex Supreme yesterday, and I really like it. The magnetic cap is very nice. I do like the gunmetal finish and the chrome/gold.
It makes a very nice rollerball and I think it looks nicer than the regular Vertex.

Smitty, any chance you might carry the Supreme version? I'm thinking I'll need some more of these.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I just finished a Vertex Supreme yesterday, and I really like it. The magnetic cap is very nice. I do like the gunmetal finish and the chrome/gold.
It makes a very nice rollerball and I think it looks nicer than the regular Vertex.

Smitty, any chance you might carry the Supreme version? I'm thinking I'll need some more of these.
Yes there is I would probably not have the 24K gold and would start with the Rollerball version.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I got a Vertex Supreme in a PITH swap and really like it. I haven't made one yet myself, but it's definitely on my to-do list. I'll be watching for them.

deedubl

Yes there is I would probably not have the 24K gold and would start with the Rollerball version.

Actually, I got the 'starter package' or whatever it's called from PSI originally. It came with gold, gunmetal, chrome/gold. The gold is not impressive at all for the finish. Lots of 'bubbles' in the finish. The gunmetal and chrome/gold are very nice though. Please let me know if you carry them soon. I will definitely order some from you.

vakmere

How comfortable are these to write with? To me they look a little awkward and fatiguing.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
How comfortable are these to write with? To me they look a little awkward and fatiguing.

To my thinking, the balance is just a little off when posted, so I usually use mine unposted when writing. However, there is a little trick you can use to reduce the weight slightly & improve the posted balance (IMHO) -- use Jr series tubes rather than the standard Vertex tubes & a Parker bp or gel refill rather than an RB.

Here's an example - it's the pen I made for Bedangerous in our recent Steampunk PITH.

I actually got the blanks for this pen in the Pass It Forward Box #1 that came back to me at the end of the game - just in time for the PITH. Thanks to whoever made it. :) I thought it would be ideal for a Vertex Supreme, but the blanks were made for a Jr series - right diameter tubes, but the top blank was about 1/4" longer (no problem there) & the bottom blank about 1/2" shorter (so no way to make the RB refill fit).

After measuring though, I realized that a Parker refill would fit the altered pen perfectly, so I turned the blanks, assembled the pen & used a gel refill.

Overall, the modified pen is about 1/4" shorter than a standard Vertex Supreme, but I like the look & balance a lot better. The only downside is that it uses a Parker style refill rather than an RB, but I can't really tell much if any difference between a gel and an RB anyway, so I consider it to be a great compromise.

FWIW
Edgar

Attachments

• VertexVert.jpg
    VertexVert.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 184
  • VertexOpen.jpg
    VertexOpen.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 185

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hard question to answer.....it's a rollerball and with a Schmidt refill it is very smooth....It feels a little top heavy to me when posted but just fine when not posted. If I had a bigger hand it would probably be better when it is posted because the support of my hand would be closer to the cap.

Top Bottom