PSI Locomotive?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Has anyone made one of the new PSI Locomotive pens? What are your impressions? It looks incredibly top heavy, and it doesn't even have a twist mechanism.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Funny you ask. A couple days ago I was on the pSI site and had to order some Majestic kits which I did. Also ordered some of the Cortona kits. But I also looked at that Locomotive kit because I have a few train watch parts I wanted to make a pen from. I thought the same thing about the heavy part but I also do not like the bolt action pen kits at all. Not sure why they are so popular. Just seems like something that can ruin a pocket in a hurry in a few different ways. So I opted not to buy. What I did buy a few months ago is a train themed Rizheng kit that had a train themed clip and I will work with that. Kits like that are more desk pens than everyday carry pens. Just my opinion.

KenB259

I seen it in the catalog and thought the same as you, looks very top heavy and the price is on the ridiculous side in my opinion.

qquake

I didn't even notice it's a bolt action. That makes it slightly more interesting to me, but I still don't think it's worth the price. You can see it better on the pewter kit.

Darios

Reminds me of the steam 'pump' pens - not really meant for writing but rather for gifting.

Sataro

Price looks definitely out of line but that is another story. It is tempting to make this pen for a work pen. I work part time in a Railroad Museum so this pen would fit in the theme of my job. Looks too big to want to carry it around in my pocket though.

BULLWINKLE

More for looks. Maybe ok for train aficionados but pricey and impractical.
I'll pass on it. And yea it looks very top heavy. Definitely one that they will eventually discontinue.

Darios

Top heavy and ugly in my opinion. I wouldn't make it even if I had a client that paid me twice what it's worth.
What the customer wants is always right.

And sometimes, what the customer wants is right over there.... (points to another penmaker up the way). :)

"Can I get a bullet pen with 5 different colors, pink sparkly inlay, and a unicorn being stabbed by a machete? "
"I'm not really set up for that. Maybe you should talk to Roy over there."
"That's funny, he sent me to you."
"Oh.. did he?"

(apologies to Monty Python there).

qquake

Expensive and ugly. Woodturningz has a good looking train themed rollerball that is less expensive
I made one of the Woodturningz train pens, and like it. It's a display pen, not a daily use pen. The blank is Marinara Sauce.

Attachments

• 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 51

KenB259

I made one of the Woodturningz train pens, and like it. It's a display pen, not a daily use pen. The blank is Marinara Sauce.
If I were to make a train themed pen, I'd choose this one, much more attractive, in my opinion.

jttheclockman

Yes Jim that is the kit I bought and will use for my train themed pen. I bought their nautical one also because I have a friend that likes everything nautical.

qquake

Yes Jim that is the kit I bought and will use for my train themed pen. I bought their nautical one also because I have a friend that likes everything nautical.
I haven't made a Nautical, but I did make a Voyager from Woodturningz a couple of years ago. I made it for my nephew who was working on a fishing trawler in the North Sea at the time.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 34

MTViper

I ordered the starter set yesterday. I have a brother-in-law who is a railroad man and when I see something railroad oriented, I always buy one for him and of course I have to have one for me. Turns out he has 2 railroad friends who are getting ready to retire, so there goes the 4 pens. I get to choose which plating I keep though.

The bolt action was a selling point for me. Love it and it's a good seller too.

Top Bottom