PSI executive pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I did a search to see if anyone is having problems with the twist mechanism working properly on the executive pencil. There is about a three year old thread and I don't see any more problems. Have people stopped buying them or is there a trick to fix the problem. I have done two and have assembled exactly as directed. The twist mechanism barely works. Any tricks out there or just toss them? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I guess there are not any tricks to get the executive pencil twist mechanism to work better. The looks of the executives are great. The pen is great. They would make a good pen & pencil set if the pencil worked better.

Is there any advice on another option for a good looking and operating pen & pencil set?

Thanks

MikeL

Just got off the timber bits web site. Looks like a real possibility. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Dodgeball

Executive pencil

I'm having the same problem. The cap doesn't go on tight enough to twist the pencil mechanism. I suspect that the solution is to slightly pinch the brass tube on the cap to help it grab onto the twist mechanism. Seems like a bad design. Must not be many Executive pencil makers out there (or we got the only 2 bad ones!).

MikeL

I'm having the same problem. The cap doesn't go on tight enough to twist the pencil mechanism. I suspect that the solution is to slightly pinch the brass tube on the cap to help it grab onto the twist mechanism. Seems like a bad design. Must not be many Executive pencil makers out there (or we got the only 2 bad ones!).

The timber bits pencil insert didn't work for this pen kit. It may work with modifications. But I have not tried. I read somewhere on this site to try punching dimples into the end of the brass tube. Slide something into the tube to keep it supported while punching several dimples. It worked. Not sure how long it will last but it was a great idea. I used parts from disassembly tools to support and to make the dimples.

Falcon1220

I'm having the same problem. The cap doesn't go on tight enough to twist the pencil mechanism. Seems like a bad design. Must not be many Executive pencil makers out there (or we got the only 2 bad ones!).

I read somewhere on this site to try punching dimples into the end of the brass tube. Slide something into the tube to keep it supported while punching several dimples. It worked. Not sure how long it will last but it was a great idea. I used parts from disassembly tools to support and to make the dimples.

I have the same problem.:mad: After reading reviews on PSI, I was under the impression that this would be a good set.:neutral: I like the executive pen and have made a few of them.:)
I tested the pencil mechanism by hand prior to assembly and it worked fine.:cool: After assembly it is not working at all. :confused:Took the pencil mechanism out again to see if I did something wrong. Twisted the pencil mechanism out all the way, as the instructions show to install a new lead. While doing that the pencil mechanism started making a grinding noise and stopped winding.:mad::mad::hammer: Now it does not work at all.

Have you found that "punching dimples into the end of the brass tube" is working?

MikeL

Yes it worked. The pencil is sold and with a customer now. I assume it is still working since I have not received a call from the customer.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm having the same problem. The cap doesn't go on tight enough to twist the pencil mechanism. Seems like a bad design. Must not be many Executive pencil makers out there (or we got the only 2 bad ones!).

I read somewhere on this site to try punching dimples into the end of the brass tube. Slide something into the tube to keep it supported while punching several dimples. It worked. Not sure how long it will last but it was a great idea. I used parts from disassembly tools to support and to make the dimples.

I have the same problem.:mad: After reading reviews on PSI, I was under the impression that this would be a good set.:neutral: I like the executive pen and have made a few of them.:)
I tested the pencil mechanism by hand prior to assembly and it worked fine.:cool: After assembly it is not working at all. :confused:Took the pencil mechanism out again to see if I did something wrong. Twisted the pencil mechanism out all the way, as the instructions show to install a new lead. While doing that the pencil mechanism started making a grinding noise and stopped winding.:mad::mad::hammer: Now it does not work at all.

Have you found that "punching dimples into the end of the brass tube" is working?
My long clicker pencil quit working after approx. 3 years of good service, so I decided to try the Exec. Twist pencil. It uses the same twist mech as the Flat Top Amer. pencil.

I gave the tube a little tap with my 5 oz. LV hammer. It's working now on threat of death or a harder tap next time!:biggrin:

Falcon1220

I gave the tube a little tap with my 5 oz. LV hammer. It's working now on threat of death or a harder tap next time!:biggrin:[/quote]

Where did you tap the tube? On the back of pencil mechanism or the cap?

Yes it worked. The pencil is sold and with a customer now. I assume it is still working since I have not received a call from the customer.

Thanks, I will try this.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I gave the tube a little tap with my 5 oz. LV hammer. It's working now on threat of death or a harder tap next time!:biggrin:

Where did you tap the tube? On the back of pencil mechanism or the cap?

Thanks, I will try this.[/quote]
I tapped the tube part that fits on the finial when you insert it in the pencil. Clear as mud:confused:!

Falcon1220

I heard nothing from PSI regarding the problem with the pencil after I e mailed them. I was not happy about that. Well yesterday I received a replacement internal tube for the pencil I had problems with. PSI invoice indicate no charge.
No complaints from me now, thanks PSI

Top Bottom