Full Review PSI Dip Pen Review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Don't buy it.

The quality of this "writing instrument" is horrible.

I just got my package in today, and the nibs are NOT as shown or described on PSI's website. They are a deep dark cobalt blue and come to a NEEDLE POINT. They are VERY sharp.

I see how they are meant to be inserted into the collar, it's a press fit collar rather than one you screw in, and the fit is extremely TIGHT for the nib. Pressing the insert into the tube was no problem at all.

How is this supposed to be a writing instrument? The nib is MUCH too sharp. It will slice through any kind of paper you attempt to use it on, and pushing it against the paper will result in making a messy hole every time.

I actually finished and assembled one. It only took about 40 minutes. I am appalled at how poorly the nib was manufactured. I spent another 10 minutes with 600 grit and then 1000 grit sandpaper trying to round off the nib so that it would write at all, and I think it's working somewhat OK at this point ... but this is NOT something that I could sell to anybody, not even an aspiring art student.

I spent another 10 minutes with 600 grit and then 1000 grit sandpaper trying to round off the nib so that it would write at all, and I think it's working somewhat OK at this point ... but this is NOT something that I could sell to anybody, not even an aspiring art student.

As for the brass tubes ... they're standard fare. The steel insert will press fit by hand easily (didn't use my vice, just pressed it in by pushing against the tabletop). The nib installs only with GREAT difficulty and force, don't try it by hand, you'll hurt yourself badly. I wasn't stupid enough to try it, after I examined the nib for 10 seconds. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the nib and force it into the insert.

Long story short - these are not pens, as is. They are INCAPABLE of actual writing without SERIOUS modification of the nib.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PRESS THE NIB IN BY HAND - YOU WILL BE INJURED!
It is a VERY hard press fit to insert the nib, and it's razor sharp for reasons not even an idiot could comprehend.

I do NOT recommend ANYBODY purchase this kit until PSI fixes 2 major issues of concern:

*Give us a half-decent nib that will actually write!
*Fix the difficulty with inserting the nib into the holder!

I will be posting this review at PSI's website as well ... hopefully we can get them to fix these issues.

attachment.php

An overview of the pen .... about half of the feather is shown.

attachment.php

A close-up of the handle section ... approx 3.5 inches long, including the length of the nib.

Attachments

• dip1.jpg
    dip1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 974
  • dip2.jpg
    dip2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 986
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Gregory I think the nib should be in the end where the feather is. That looks like the grip end to me. I could be wrong. But that doesn't solve the sharpness issue.

Skie_M

Gregory I think the nib should be in the end where the feather is. That looks like the grip end to me. I could be wrong. But that doesn't solve the sharpness issue.

Lol ... that deep rounded depression is where the web of the first finger and thumb rest .... the pen is very short.

You can imagine that rounded nub as the center band of a pen, and then you'll understand it a little better. :)

The rounded nub is only there to serve as a holding attachment that holds the feather in place ... the hole drilled through it is off-center and only 3/32nds. There is a bamboo skewer section, about an inch long, buried in the end of the feather and into the back of the pen that serves as an anchor to keep the feather in place.

BKind2Anmls

I appreciate the review and don't agree that you should expect poor quality based on the price. There aren't many components in the kit...it's not like most other kits so it shouldn't cost the same. if it were me, I would assume that anything a major company like PSI sells should have quality control regardless of the price.

So, please keep reviewing for the rest of us.

Skie_M

You're right ... it doesn't look like mine. They pulled a "bait and switch". I left a copy of this review on the PSI site.

It shows on the site that you get that golden colored nib pictured ...

It doesn't tell you that the style of the nib you receive may be different than that pictured. The instructions you receive WITH THE KIT tells you that.

I got a tip from a member about torching my nib to remove it's protective coating ... it could be a different color underneath, so I'll find out.

With the coating on, and the sanding and testing I did, I was barely able to write one word at a time ... using thinned acrylic paint, as I don't have any actual calligraphy paint on hand.

As for making it into a dart .... I don't think it'll fly very fast or far with such a huge feather and virtually no weight. It's just Cedar.

Skie_M

Torched the nib .... it's a plain uncolored steel underneath, and quite flimsy. Barely touching it to paper separates the two sides of the nib ... I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work. The instant I do that, all the ink runs down and blots the paper.

I went ahead and torched another nib and installed it. No matter what I try, no matter how I hold it, it doesn't write. It cuts the paper and the nib ends scatter the ink as they catch and spring free from the paper. This is impossible as a writing instrument.

vakmere

If you call them and explain the issue you're having they will refund your money or give you a store credit. Talk to Thor at PSI, He can take care of you.

darrin1200

Torched the nib .... it's a plain uncolored steel underneath, and quite flimsy. Barely touching it to paper separates the two sides of the nib ... I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work. The instant I do that, all the ink runs down and blots the paper.

I went ahead and torched another nib and installed it. No matter what I try, no matter how I hold it, it doesn't write. It cuts the paper and the nib ends scatter the ink as they catch and spring free from the paper. This is impossible as a writing instrument.

Thats is exactly how its supposed to work. It sounds like you have a very flexible nib, which is a good thing. The flexibility of the tines is what allows you to vary the line width.
The blotting can be caused by a couple of things. If your ink is to thin, then this will happen. I tried using Private reserve when I first started, and had the same problem.

Another cause of this can be the that the coating is not cleaned off the nib, this really messes with the ink flow. Personally I don't prepare the nib with fire, you can run the risk of damaging the temper in the point. Wipe it down with alcohol or mineral spirits a couple of times. You can tell when its clean, because the ink will stick in an even coat all over the nib.

Really fine points are hard to write with. Try getting a smoother paper, and lowering the angle of the pen while you are writing.

Skie_M

How do you change how fine the point is?

I've tried various methods of holding and the angle and it doesn't want to work at all.

I'm going to go to Hobby Lobby and pick up their beginner calligraphy dip pen set with some proper ink and see if their nibs are cheaply available enough for me to just replace these completely.

psilevy

Here's what the Dip pen Nib Holder is all about

Our Dip pen holder kit gives you the opportunity to provide a beautiful / elegant nib holder for the calligraphy for pen ink artist. These types of artists typically have their own favorite nibs or nib sets - and multiple holders - giving you the opportunity to give them the gift of a handsome handmade nib holder for their favorite nibs. The "tang" on nearly all nibs of this type is universal so its likely that the artist's nib will fit in your turned holder.

The only way for a woodturner to make a pen like this is to cannibalize a commercial nib holder for its parts, and even then - making the holder without the tube and proper mandrel (we recommend our Big Grabber closed end mandrel) is quite difficult. Our intent in creating this project was to simplify the process of making these holder and at the same time provide a workable nib with the project for display and sale.

About out nib. The nib provided in this kit is the Gillott 303 nib - typically promoted as a "starter nib" for the aspiring dip pen / calligraphy artist. If you go to YouTube, (or Amazon) you'll see quite a few videos of artists using this nib quite successfully (plus positive reviews). As I discovered after seeing this post (talking with the supplier) - these nibs may not be "perfect" there are defectives and it is possible that you received one - it is impossible to check them unless you dip and write with them (with the proper ink). Honestly - we don't "guarantee" or "warrant" the nib because we consider it a "throwaway". We didn't want to raise the cost of the kit by including higher quality nibs that may be discarded anyway.

Our future catalogs will offer more "premium" nib options for those who want to provide a more advanced writing nib than the one pre-packaged. I'll change our catalog promotion in the future to make this kit's purposes more clear.

mike4066

Skie,

Are you left handed? I ask because as a lefty myself fountain pens take on a different set of challenges.

Are you using these on standard lined notebook / or copy paper? Paper quality matters.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Skie, you can get a batch of a dozen nib holders for $9 and good quality calligraphy nibs for $3 from another set of sellers. PM me and I'd be happy to share as I don't want to cross post other vendors in this particular thread.

Moral is there is no reason to pay for a "kit" for these.

Skie_M

Our Dip pen holder kit gives you the opportunity to provide a beautiful / elegant nib holder for the calligraphy for pen ink artist. These types of artists typically have their own favorite nibs or nib sets - and multiple holders - giving you the opportunity to give them the gift of a handsome handmade nib holder for their favorite nibs. The "tang" on nearly all nibs of this type is universal so its likely that the artist's nib will fit in your turned holder.

The only way for a woodturner to make a pen like this is to cannibalize a commercial nib holder for its parts, and even then - making the holder without the tube and proper mandrel (we recommend our Big Grabber closed end mandrel) is quite difficult. Our intent in creating this project was to simplify the process of making these holder and at the same time provide a workable nib with the project for display and sale.

About out nib. The nib provided in this kit is the Gillott 303 nib - typically promoted as a "starter nib" for the aspiring dip pen / calligraphy artist. If you go to YouTube, (or Amazon) you'll see quite a few videos of artists using this nib quite successfully (plus positive reviews). As I discovered after seeing this post (talking with the supplier) - these nibs may not be "perfect" there are defectives and it is possible that you received one - it is impossible to check them unless you dip and write with them (with the proper ink). Honestly - we don't "guarantee" or "warrant" the nib because we consider it a "throwaway". We didn't want to raise the cost of the kit by including higher quality nibs that may be discarded anyway.

Our future catalogs will offer more "premium" nib options for those who want to provide a more advanced writing nib than the one pre-packaged. I'll change our catalog promotion in the future to make this kit's purposes more clear.

Thanks for the reply, Levy. I was seriously concerned about this issue and I hope a defective nib is all it is. I do believe that the insert needs some work too, however. It is MUCH too difficult to press the nib in. I needed to use pliers to grip the nib and force it in, and that may have actually damaged the nib and caused my problems to begin with.

Thanks my grandaughter likes to do calligraphy and uses dip pens. I sure won't be buying this one. Might make a good weapon in a pinch though.

You could market it at the Zombie apocalypse end of the world survival guys.

"well sir, not only will it allow you to still write after all the ink supplies have ran out by making up your own ink, but it can also kill a zombie from 100 yards. Remember always aim for the head sir" :biggrin:

Top Bottom