PSI Designer in Cork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chaz

Chaz

I love working with cork for pens. It has a great feel, compared to wood or plastic, and "figured" cork like this, looks really cool.

IMG_20181014_104931.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chaz

That is a beautiful pen! I assume that was natural cork? It seems like it would be challenging, even with razor sharp tools.
It depends on what you mean by "natural". It's a composite - ground up natural cork, mixed with some kind of adhesive/binder and then molded.
It's different to work with. It wants a very sharp tool. Light passes. I use a skew. Even then, there's tear-out, and you have to start sanding a lot sooner than you would with other materials. Drilling is different, too.

I'll be making up some blanks in November if you're interested.

sorcerertd

I'll be making up some blanks in November if you're interested.
Probably not this time around, but thanks. I need to stop buying blanks faster than I can use them for a while. I'm overrun with stuff to make and too short on time to do it. I'll bet you could sell a few in the marketplace. I'll bet it would be an interesting material for segmenting.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank you for posting these picts of your work. Very nice work, interesting, and makes me want to give it a try too. I would be interested in a few blanks.

Joebobber

Im glad you posted this. I have been thinking about trying this for awhile but never pulled the trigger. I even gave a bunch in my cart still. Lol. I think i will go ahead n give it a shot. I love how yours looks.

Woodchipper

One can buy various cork rings from those who are suppliers for fishing rod components. First that comes to mind is www.mudhole.com. I built custom fishing rods for seven years. One doesn't need turning tools...various grits of sandpaper will take down the cork to a baby smooth surface. No catches or gouges in the cork.
Chaz, what finish did you use?

derekdd

Fascinating.

I would have never have thought to turn cork.

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing this.

Chaz

One can buy various cork rings from those who are suppliers for fishing rod components. First that comes to mind is www.mudhole.com. I built custom fishing rods for seven years. One doesn't need turning tools...various grits of sandpaper will take down the cork to a baby smooth surface. No catches or gouges in the cork.
Chaz, what finish did you use?
no finish. I've thought about waxing, but I like the finish I displayed

I use a sharp skew to shape.

I don't use cork rings. Too much waste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom