PSI DC2000BCF dust collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I ordered this dust collector and finally got it installed this weekend. I had owned a Jet 1100 1.5 HP DC. This new one is 2 HP.

I bought this solely based on the fact that I wanted a good quiet dust collector. I called up PSI and talked to their DC guy and asked him about the sound level. My Jet DC is about 75-80db depending on where you stand in the room. I told the guy on the other end of the line that the 65 DB rating for the PSI 2HP model just couldn't be 65DB could it? He assured me twice that the rating was 65 DB.

I order it for $475 and run a 240v line for about $65. I plug it in today and fire it up. It is so much louder than I expected. It has a 85-90 DB rating. I know that my phone app is not the best tool to rate DBs but I would expect since I used the same device to measure both DCs the PSI would at least be quieter.

Any way I am extremely disappointed today. I am down $540 and I sold my old DC so I am out that one as well (that is my mistake though). I was going to build a closet for my new DC but this thing is as loud as a cyclone and I am sure while a closet will do good it could not do as well as if I had kept the quieter Jet 1100.

So I am not sure if I can return it because the box was practically destroyed when it got to me and I am sure it will not go back together. Plus I would need to pay the $75 to ship it back. I much just have to be out more money to sell it at a loss on Craigs list.

Has anyone else had this disappointing experience with PSI DCs? Can anyone recommend a course of action or a quieter 2HP DC? I might just go back to a 1.5HP because maybe all of the 2HP are noisy. Just really bummed.

(Thanks for letting me rant on) :)

thewishman

Ron, what a lousy deal. I am looking to get a DC and was hoping you would have had good things to say about your new one. I need to rewire the garage and want to plan for a quiet DC system. Sorry that this one is not as advertised.

You can tell the PSI rep that he just lost my business with the faulty information.

ashaw

Ron I have the DC2v3X and love it. I originally brought it for my old 2,000 sqft shop. Very quiet there. If have since moved my shop back into my house my new shop space is 110 sqft. My house is a twin, so I let my neighbor know ahead of time. I had to work late Thursday night in the shop. I called my neighbor letting her know that I would be working until 10pm and to let me know if the noise bothers her. She said what nose. So it is quiet.

brownsfn2

That one might be quieter because it is a 1.5hp. I just wish the information about the 2000 would have been accurate. I am either going to return this one or sell it on Craigslist at a loss since I will probably have to pay return shipping as well.

Now that my disappointment has subsided a bit I can say that the unit seems very powerful. It is just much much noisier than the Jet 1100.

Top Bottom