PSI Big Grabber - Closed End Pen Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BryanMurphy

Does anyone have any experience with the PSI Big Grabber pen mandrel?

It seems versatile and cost-effective, but I can't figure out by looking at it how it works or if it will work well. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

The Big Grabber has 3 different size rubber sleeves. The ID is the same but the OD is different based on the blank. When you tighten the jam nut it compresses the rubber lengthwise which causes the diameter to increase gripping the tube.

Hope that makede sense.

BryanMurphy

That second piece of documentation was useful. The version of the instructions I found weren't nearly as useful. :)

So has anyone used one of these for kitless pens? Does it work well without pen tubes glued into your material?

moke

I have one. It came with special "closed end kits" and bushings, four different kits, I think. Honestly I had two jobs at the time and have never used it. I have had other closed end jigs, this looks to be more verstile. I am now retired from both jobs, and starting to get to some of those things I bought over the years, that I never got to. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have the instructions, boxes, and kits, if you need me to post copies of the instructions of the kits or tool itself. Honestly, the pictures look like they leave their closed end really long and, in my estimation, unattractive. That is one of the reasons why I never pursued it.

magpens

@moke

You said :-
"The pictures look like they leave their closed end really long and, in my estimation, unattractive. That is one of the reasons why I never pursued it."

My reaction was the same. . The pictures for those kits do indeed portray as "unattractive". . So, I did not buy the Big Grabber.

Might be possible to make the closed ends shorter and improve the appearance of the pen .... will have to think about that.

moke

Magpens...
I intend to get to it and make one...I'll post when I get it done. Right now I have a batch of 20 other pens or so going.

Burb

I'm curious about this Grabber as well. I was researching options today and haven't found anything similar. Anyone know if Rick Harrell or anyone else has anything better to offer?

SteveG

I join and agree with the comments WRT the closed end being overly long and thus unattractive. For the same reasons, I bought the "Grabber" thing and have yet to use it. Eventually I will, but also will modify everything to yield a pen with more appealing proportions. Not able to provide any experience-related inputs ATT though

SteveJ

Rick does make a pin chuck which does the same thing. I got the 7mm one and it works well - his page doesn't say if he makes other sizes but it seems likely!

Top Bottom