PSI Baracuda 2 Chuck System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Aebi

I received the Baracuda2 Chuck system yesterday by Big Brown Truck. I've opened it and removed the dreaded Chinese shipping oil/crud from all the parts and it indeed looks like they have a much better machine finish on the parts over the standard PSI chuck. (not better than a Nova, Vicmark or One-Way, but for Chinese machining, it looks good!). The wooden box was solid and inside even had a "shipping clamp" to hold the parts in place, had to remove a screw to take out the clamp.

I will be testing out this chuck and all 3 sets of jaws along with their version of the woodworm screw that came with it. I have both 3/4" x 16 and 1" x 8 lathes, so I can check it for "true" on each system. The jaws on this chuck also have "teeth" for better holding power, and it has a square recess "T" handle for one-hand tightening rather than the Tommy-Bars that the Utility chucks have. I will also test whether the jaws from this chuck will interchange with the Utility Chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodbutcher68

I found that the utility chuck holes are a little different than the holes on the regular Barracuda. They were supposed to be the same and that's why PSI had the utility chuck marked down so low. I'm waiting for my supplier to get his shipment in.

Kurt Aebi

Their Tech Service guy said that there were 3 manufacturers of their utility chucks and that one was the same manufacturer they selected for the Baracuda line, so he said that the best thing to do was actually try them.

The Baracuda line is supposed to be completely interchangeable.

I don't really care if they are interchangeable, but it would be nice if the Flat Jumbo jaws I got for the utility chucks would be useable on this one as well.

I called PSI and they said that the first group that ordered the Baracuda 2 (when they were due in at the end of August) were the ones they just sent out. She said that if you ordered one now, it says they are due in early December, but she wouldn't count on one before the end of the year.

Thumbs

Thanks, Kurt. I have one of the utility chucks, also, and am very interested to know if the jaws are interchangeable.

Kurt Aebi

Only got to do a little with the new chuck this weekend.
It is an extreme improvement over the PSI Utility Chuck (don't get me worng - the 2 utility chucks I have work fine I'll continue using them - 1 will get the jumbo flat jaws mounted permanently), the "T" handle for tightening makes it so much easier to grip your piece.
The gears for the "T" handle are a little rough, but a little bit of lithium grease smoothed them out pretty well (I am sure if you use a One-Way, Nova or Vicmark - they would be a lot smoother - but again you get what you pay for!).
The Jaws from the Utility chuck have the same bolt pattern, but the locating key (or groove) is just opposite from the Baracuda, so they are not interchangeable. This is not a problem because the chuck system comes with the #1, #2 & #3 Jaws as well as the Pin jays and screw adapter - so it comes with everything you would need, except the Jumbo Flat Jaws.
The Gripping "teeth" seem to hold well - more on this when I get a little more turning time.
Ran true on both the 1" x 8 and 3/4" x 16 lathes (notorious problem with the Utility Chucks and almost always the problem was the adapter, not the chuck).
So far, I like it and think I'll probably be using it more and more.

More on the review as I get more time to get to the shop and give it a real workout!

Now the excuse for the delay in the product test!

The weather was in the upper 50's - low 60's here (almost Never seen at this time of the year in Vermont) so I spent most of the weekend outside buttoning up for winter. Putting the porch furniture and lawn equipment away and getting the snowblower ready for the long, long cold, cold winter ahead. And of course cleaning up the shop furnace and getting it ready for a busy, busy winter of woodworking!!!!

Kurt Aebi

Got a chance to turn a little with this chuck. I started a Confetti Lamp.

I first used their version of the "Woodworm Screw" and it held fantastic in the little piece of walnut that I was working on - never once slipped. The jaws held the screw firmly and if I took too big a bite, the lathe would stall rather than the screw slipping. Big, Big, Big improvement over the utility chuck!

I turned the piece into a cylinder and cut a tenon on the tailstock end. I turned the piece around and chucked the tenon and started the profile. This chuck really holds the piece well. I usually had to retighten the utility chuck at least a few times, where this one was a one-time tightening and then go for it. It held the piece very well while drilling out the hole for the oil lamp with a 1-1/2" forstner bit. I drilled the hole deep enough for the top of the bottle to show and took the piece out of the chuck. I purposely did this so that I would have to put the piece back into the chuck to finish the hole and to test how well it handled the rechucking task. It worked flawlessly and the piece was absolutely true (or at least true enough for woodworking - I didn't put a dial indicator on it, as I would have with a metal piece) when rechucked and I finished boring the hole.

I installed the inside-gripping jaws and gripped it in the bottle recess to finish the bottom. I rough turned the tenon off last night and will finish up tonight and post a picture of the final result.

All in all, for the price of $160.00 for the entire set - it is a real good bargain. Anyone who cannot afford or doesn't want to spend the big dollars for the other brand chucks, it will be a good investment.
The only problem I encountered was the delivery delays, but that seems to be standard with Penn State Industries when they launch a new product and it gets much better the longer the product is on the market.

I recomend it.

ydnandrew

Are the #2 and/or #3 jaws dovetailed? None of the descriptions mention this.

PSI has the irregular Barracuda on sale now for $99.95 because the T-bars don't properly fit (easily fixable). http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10245.html

I was about to buy the Utility chuck before I came across this review and did a search for the Barracuda, which is how I found this deal. Thanks.

ydnandrew

I just noticed that the flat jaws that accompany the Barracuda are only 5"! The Utility are 8". That's a huge difference. If I want the flat jaws mainly to turn bowls, lids and platters, would making my own donut chuck and auxilary jaws be just as good?

arioux

Hi,

I don't actually hown a chuck and shopping for one. I never used one either. Woodturningz has on sale the PSI's Utlity Grip, 4-Jaw chuck for $44.95. Is this a good by for a starter or should i invest more for the better one's.

Thanks in advance, you guys are better than an encyclopedia when it comes to turning.

Alfred

Mikey

Hey guys, s there really that much of a difference between using the two bars for tightening and using the T-handle? I'm shpping for a new chuck and a fellow member handed me the link to the sale Barracuda2, but for more $$$, they have the #3, which has the T-handle. Which would be better to hang on to with advancement of skill?

ydnandrew

I have a mini chuck that uses 2 t-bars to lock. It was a pain at first, but I've learned to deal with it. It's much easier if you have 3 hands. Few of us do. The single key might be worth it for some people.

ydnandrew

I can't find those jaws on their site, but thanks for the reference.

That still leaves my other question as to the dovetailing of the #2 and #3 jaws. Anyone know if they are dovetailed?

BigRob777

I was just looking at the baracuda 2 tonight. I was going to buy the cheapie that is half price, but I want something that will last a lifetime (with this back, I won't get that much use out of it anyway). I like the look of the oneway too, and have heard good things about it.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom