PSI Apollo Infinity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I would say it is in its own to a certain degree. I was just looking to turn something different.

Herb G

I turned one. Exactly one. It was much harder for me than my usual fare.
I don't exactly turn a ton of pens, but this one was complicated for me at least.
YMMV, etc.

magpens

Tony, I haven't made that specific kit . . FWIW, the overall look of it does not appeal to me.

It is fairly similar to the Berea Sedona, which I have made a couple of, but it also is not very inspiring.

If you are looking for something different to do with a bit of a challenge to it, you could try making one of the closed end kits that PSI sells. . You can get the Apollo Infinity in a closed end version.

I think there are four closed end kits in different styles. . The one I like is the Majestic Jr. Closed End. . However, if you follow the instructions ..... beware ..... there are mistakes in some of the dimensions specified for how to cut things and how deep to drill holes.

When I am considering making a new kit, I find it instructive and useful to look at the instruction sheet. . PSI seems to always have instruction sheets available online and I think this is one of their strong points in merchandising. . Sometimes, however, there are minor errors, which hopefully you are able to notice and correct before you get too far into it. It is often helpful to carefully look at all the parts and measure them with calipers and draw some sketches, in order to go through the process in your mind before you do any cutting or turning.

Doing that increases the fun and satisfaction for me.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thank you for all of the feedback. I was hoping someone can tell me about their experience relative to this :
For $14, are the components and construction decent?

I am thinking about buying it because it will sell and its not the same half dozen kits that I make regularly. I bought Rick's closed end mandrel (great product) and the PSI collect system 3 years ago. If t wasn't for a visit from Longbeard (Harry), I would have never used the closed end mandrel LOL. 3 days ago, I turned two BSs after not opening the package for over 2 years (now I just order about 12 of Ruth's cork style). I am going to keep the closed mandrel, but should sell PSI collets. I only used 1 and don't know what to do with them. Anyway, thanks for all of the feedback; it sis very well received and much appreciated. Have a great one!

76winger

I have turned and used the Apollo Infinity. Although I sold a few, they've not been a big seller. Beyond that, It is one my personal favorite pens. I like it because of the bigger size (it's closer to the size of a Majestic than a Cigar), the section fits very nicely in my hand, and it's much lighter than the Majestic because of less use of heavy brass in the parts. Just a really comfortable pen for me, especially the Fountain pen version. My only disappointment with the pen is that they no longer offer it with a Rhodium finish and instead went to Chrome.

Here's a few that I made several years ago.

TonyL

Thank you..that is what I wanted to learn. BTW, your photos make me "sick" with envy :).

TonyL

Thanks. Next PSI or whomever carries them order, I am going to pick up a few. Thanks again! Or someone doesn't like theirs (RBs), I will buy them with bushings and pay whatever PSI sells them for.

Last edited:

76winger

I see they (PSI) also have some closed-end versions of the Apollo Infinity now. I'll have to try some when I get back into turning. I've been regrouping from divorce & move in 2015 and although I have more space in the form of a pole barn, I don't have the heated garage that I used to have. Plus pen making time is not as abundant now with a loving partner to share life with.

Top Bottom