Jeer PSI -- 10 days

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy

Well, I normally defend PSI because I've received good products and service in the past.

So, now I will keep you in the loop as my saga for a belt for my Turncrater Lathe continues.

Most of the problems are because of the USPS, however, PSI did contract them to carry a parcel to me, so it is still their responsibility to see that it gets accomplished. (I've added a copy of PSI tracking output for all to see.)

On Sept 9. I called to get a belt for my lathe. As you can see for the next five days it took the scenic tour of the east coast. It finally got to Atlanta.

That was on the 14th. There it remains to this day.

I called and was basically told there is nothing PSI can do. IIpaid for it it on the 9th. They got my money so they don't care what happens to the product anymore.) I asked how long I would have to wait before I could declare it lost. The woman with the east coast attitude hung up on me.

So I waited one more day and now I'm telling you.

I will post Jeer once a day until I receive my belt.

Join the fun.

Attachments

• PSI.jpg
    PSI.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 177
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In MOST cases, USPS is the most economical (read cheapest) means of delivery. The vast majority of their packages arrive quickly and in good condition. When one goes astray, the vendor cannot MAKE them do anything. Often, the package is stuck very close to its delivery point, so a trip to your local post office is the most effective.

To answer your question, you can claim the package lost after 30 days, the post office then has 28 days to give you a "status". I have had this happen fewer than a handful of times in over 15,000 packages. Each of those reappeared and were delivered within a week of the "lost status".

UPS and FedEx ground service is more expensive. I have no evidence that they are any more reliable and we do know they generally take a day or two longer than USPS.

I can only wish I shipped one-tenth of what PSI ships!!! But, it is very unlikely that the person you get on the phone has ANY say over your package---

FWIW
Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
PSI's shipping policy states that you can specify your desired carrier in the comments section of the order; otherwise, they will select a carrier of their choice. They also offer Standard Ground shipping or Economy Ground shipping at a lower price which certainly also affects how they ship the order.

In this case it appears that the package started out with UPS which accounts for the circuitous East Coast routing and finally got into the USPS system on the 14th. Hopefully it's en route from GA to AL.

I usually use their Economy Ground shipping option to save a couple of bucks & accept the 1-2 week delivery time if I'm not in a big hurry for my order. If I need it quicker, I will specifically ask them to ship by Priority Mail.

Ed

MarkD

For awhile PSI was using a method where another party was picking up the package and delivering it to a USPS point ( probably a a hub ) and then USPS would eventually deliver the package. I had results similar to your when they used that method to ship packages to me in the past. I have learned to not order from them unless there is no other choice.
Hopefully your package will arrive soon. They are not always good at updating the tracking info either.

Scruffy

I have no other choice... there is not a second source for the belts for their lathe. Agreed I was stupid by getting a lathe and fixing my self to a single source parts situation. And I'm paying for it with service.

Agreed I was being economical when I agreed to the delivery method. 8-9 days was reasonable when asked; I did not know there was a risk that their selected delivery choice would mess things up. (BTW, you have to call for parts you can't get online.)

A main reason that online or phone ordering is successful is that it is the responsibility of the vendor to get you the product. They do NOT abdicate responsibility to UPS, or FEDEX or USPS or whatever. Even though they trust the delivery service, the vendor is still ultimately responsible to get you your product when you order and they charge you and you pay. I think there should be an option where the vendor does share the risk by not charging until delivery.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
They shipped it within 2 days - that's pretty good.

THey shipped it via USPS - if you're unhappy with the service that you're receiving from USPS, you should contact the post office to complain, rather than PSI.

In the future, take advantage of the power of options, and request UPS delivery from PSI.
From their website:
If you require a specific carrier, please note it in the "comments" section at the end of your order. Note: Please supply a street address for your deliveries if you are requesting UPS shipping. UPS cannot deliver to Post Office Boxes.

mdm0829

Posting here will not get their attention, in my experience. Just have to grin and bear it. My experience is that they have gotten better at shipping, but I still don't use them unless I want some cheap kits and am not in a hurry. My experience was that they refused to admit that they told me something without checking with their shipper, and when I checked and found out that they were wrong, they refused to admit it. Still have the e-mail they sent asking me to take my business to another company. They can't control once shipped, but they could admit they were wrong. No issues with delivery time, just wait on it, probably be slow, but within the time estimate. Big issue with not owning up to an error when they were found out.

Jerryz

This doesn't appear to be a PSI issue. Blaming them for a shippers issue seems unproductive at best?

NittanyLion

Alan,

No longer a PSI customer, I enjoyed my experience with them about as much as a colonoscomy.....but you really dont have an argument against them with the shipping. It's out of their control. You may have a point about being hung up on, so long as you didn't say something out of frustration to provoke it. I suggest moving on. CSUSA has the best customer service of any of the big guys. They are the model of good service. There are plenty of small suppliers here that are great as well. Best of luck!

LagniappeRob

Just FYI - probably NOT the only source for the belt ... that would be VERY unusual. Many bench lathes are J belts (aka Micro-V or Poly-V w/0.92" spacing). Easy to find if you work out the part #... (belt length)J(# of ribs)
so a 28" with 4 ribs becomes: 280J4

Check the width to make sure it's a J type. Micro Rib Belts has the chart of the different sizes. FYI - I bought my last one from Amazon for ~$6.

PenMan1

To err is human. BUT to #%*} something up beyond all repair requires help from the Government.

Looks like the USPS is your agent of FUBAR in this instance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom