Prototype 2.0 - Searching, No Joy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

Well, I have exhausted the dye options available to me trying to get the section a nice black. The experiment had 2 goals: 1) make a ball point pen that has a section with the nib - a cross between the normal 2 piece with upper and lower barrel and a 1 piece; 2) to make the section dark and distinguishable from the pen body.

I'll try again when I have access to the 2 ebonizing solutions - it apparently takes more time than I thought to dissolve steel wool in vinegar. I don't think using a figured wood as the section will work either due to the physics and chemistry that causes the figure to begin with - results in a differential uptake of the dye.

Attachments

• proto2_1.jpg
    proto2_1.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 218
  • proto2_2.jpg
    proto2_2.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 207
  • proto2_3.jpg
    proto2_3.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 214
  • proto2_4.jpg
    proto2_4.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Not sure what the goal is, but I have had success with some India Inks. Black especially. After all we are pen makers. :)
One of the goals is to make the section totally distinguishable from the pen body. I don't think I quite reached that with this attempt. I like your idea of India ink; I'll try that.

Don

mick

I like the shape of the pen. I'll occasionally make a slimline with the flare at the nib but a never modified one.
If you're looking for something darker why not use African blackwood or some mun ebony. That might give you the darker nub you're liking for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bob in SF

Don - I agree with Mike - African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) would work.

I posted this a while ago - same wood - different project:

Have fun - Bob

Reactions: DrD
Top Bottom