Proposed rules of the 2024 FOG BASH Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Here are the proposed rules for the FOG Contest. If you have any suggests, just respond to this thread.

FOG (Found on the Ground) Pen Contest – 2024

The basic idea of this contest is to discover something laying on the ground that might be a decent pen. We will use a wide open definition of "found on the ground."

All contestants must comply with the Universal Contest Rules in addition to the following rules.

Contest Rules:

1) It must be found outside (and preferably not on your own property). Dropping a blank in your shop or just outside your shop doesn't count!

2) Discarded items found on trash day count (so if someone happens to throw away a piece of furniture with decent wood, it is eligible – but it can't be your own trash).

3) If you need to or choose to enhance your FOG with segmenting or casting, the FOG wood/object must be the primary material.

4) The FOG is not limited to wood only – if you find it on the ground and think you can make a pen out of it, have at it!

5) Entries must include:

• IAP member ID
  • Real name
  • Address (prizes may be mailed)
  • Submit 2-3 photos that are at least 800x600 and no more than 256kb in size. Photos may be resized or cropped if needed
    • Select a solid color plain background that compliments your pen and makes it stand out
    • Use a simple stand that does not distract from the pen. (preferably clear plastic) No other props allowed
    • Photos cannot contain anything that may be an indication of who the maker is.
  • Include a brief description of the kit, where you discovered the material, and any special processes or features. Descriptions may be edited to eliminate any indication of the maker.
  • Entries can be submitted starting Feb 1
  • Final entry deadline is 11:59 P.M. Mountain time Sunday Feb 12
6) Winner will be chosen by the IAP community in a poll or series of polls if there are more than 10 entries.
The polls will be limited to 10 entries per poll, so 12 entries would create 2 polls of 6 entries etc. The second round of polls will include a total of 10 entries to determine the winner, (so in the above example, the first round would eliminate 2 entries)

6) Prizes TBD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Is found on ground by a neighbor and then presented to you acceptable?
As long as they are willing to fill out an affidavit saying that they actually did find it on the ground, just not sure we can trust people who aren't members of IAP!

Wait, that would mean we couldn't trust most of our spouses YIKES!

Of course it will be acceptable. The idea is to have some fun, if you say it was found on the ground, we will believe you. Someone privately asked if something found in a river counts, and the answer is yes! I suppose it is almost like this: if you found it and you didn't have to pay for it, you can use it.

Alan Morrison

A neighbour pulled out a mahogany fireplace which was destined for the tip, but ended up leaving it at my workshop door.
Does that count?

Alan Morrison

Steve, are we restricted to just one entry?
I don't see anything in the rules above.
I see in the ugly pen comp. we can enter two.

SteveJ

No, I made an exception for the ugly pen competition wondering if anyone has the guts to admit that they might have TWO REALLY ugly pens which might be uglier than any others.

For the FOG competition you are limited to one entry.

Alan Morrison

No, I made an exception for the ugly pen competition wondering if anyone has the guts to admit that they might have TWO REALLY ugly pens which might be uglier than any others.

For the FOG competition you are limited to one entry.
OK Steve, thanks.

Top Bottom