Problems with Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre cap threading (won't lock down when tightening)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BoonareeBurl

Has anyone else had problems with Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre kits not locking down nice and tight when the pen is screwed closed (and also when the cap is posted)? Instead of locking, the cap only gets a little tight as you screw it down but then "slips" and gets loose again.

I think it's some kind of defect with the threads inside the cap, but for such a good quality kit, I'm not sure why I've encountered several of these defects. I haven't had any problems with any of the other Penn State kits that have threading in the cap.

Also, if you have encountered this problem, let me know what you suggest doing to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I have had the same problem on a couple that I have turned. I think it is caused my customers over tightening the cap. I watch my NS s like a hawk and always advise customers to pleas not over tighten if they pick on up.

BoonareeBurl

I have had the same problem on a couple that I have turned. I think it is caused my customers over tightening the cap. I watch my NS s like a hawk and always advise customers to pleas not over tighten if they pick on up.
What did you do to fix the problem? Did you replace the hardware in the cap?

BoonareeBurl

No fix that I know of. I caution customers to not over tighten the cap with all my rollerballs and fount
I just tried using a small piece of Scotch brand gift wrap tape carefully placed in the cap, over the threads. Works great (locks down tight). The tape doesn't need to go all the way around the inside diameter and can be removed (with tweezers) if desired. You also don't really notice it unless you look inside the pen cap and are looking for the tape.

It's not as good as having perfectly working hardware, but I think it makes the pen 95% (and much more saleable).

Try it and let me know what you think.

KenB259

I just tried using a small piece of Scotch brand gift wrap tape carefully placed in the cap, over the threads. Works great (locks down tight). The tape doesn't need to go all the way around the inside diameter and can be removed (with tweezers) if desired. You also don't really notice it unless you look inside the pen cap and are looking for the tape.

It's not as good as having perfectly working hardware, but I think it makes the pen 95% (and much more saleable).

Try it and let me know what you think.
Probably just me, but I couldn't sell a pen that relies on a piece of tape to make it usable.

AllanS

Actually yes - just a few days ago in fact.

For me it was due to the plastic threading piece popping off the center band. Though in my case it popped off when the nib assembly had unthreaded as well, leaving the whole mess down far enough in the cap to keep me from being able to easily get it out and I had to pop the clip assembly off to get everything out.

Maybe you have a similar problem where the threads are slipping off the band. I'm going to try some CA to attach the thread to the band on my end to see if things get better.

BoonareeBurl

Actually yes - just a few days ago in fact.

For me it was due to the plastic threading piece popping off the center band. Though in my case it popped off when the nib assembly had unthreaded as well, leaving the whole mess down far enough in the cap to keep me from being able to easily get it out and I had to pop the clip assembly off to get everything out.

Maybe you have a similar problem where the threads are slipping off the band. I'm going to try some CA to attach the thread to the band on my end to see if things get better.
The threading doesn't appear to have come off mine.
Have you considered getting replacement hardware for yours, and then replacing the defective piece?

AllanS

The threading doesn't appear to have come off mine.
Have you considered getting replacement hardware for yours, and then replacing the defective piece?
It wasn't threading for me but the whole black plastic tube came off of the center band. The plastic tube itself is fine.
Now the clip assembly got dinged when I had to pop it off but now I get to practice deburring that but that's neither here nor there.

I just added my experience in case your problem is somehow related - possibly that your tube is detached and, where mine ended up sliding down into the cap, yours is spinning in place.

BoonareeBurl

It wasn't threading for me but the whole black plastic tube came off of the center band. The plastic tube itself is fine.
Now the clip assembly got dinged when I had to pop it off but now I get to practice deburring that but that's neither here nor there.

I just added my experience in case your problem is somehow related - possibly that your tube is detached and, where mine ended up sliding down into the cap, yours is spinning in place.
Yeah, I don't think the tube is the problem for me. I suspect the threading might not be cut right, perhaps too wide due to a dull cutter. Or something like that. Thanks for chiming in. I'm learning all the time, and it's good to know what others are experiencing in the field.

AllanS

Yeah, I don't think the tube is the problem for me. I suspect the threading might not be cut right, perhaps too wide due to a dull cutter. Or something like that. Thanks for chiming in. I'm learning all the time, and it's good to know what others are experiencing in the field

Just a followup - PSI responded to my problem by asking me to reach out to their customer support for replacement parts. They may do the same for your issue.

KenB259

What is a glue notch?
Some rollerball pens have a small notch running around the plastic insert. I have seen a few instructions say to put a little glue in that notch. I don't remember which ones actually call it out.

Top Bottom