Problem with Knurl GT transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I made a pen to match a shift knob I made for a friend. The transmission on the PEN is so stiff that when attempting to retract the point the entire top, including the transmission unscrews. I have a second kit of the same pen (from Penn State) and it does the same thing. Is there any way to loosen it, or am I missing something? Thanks!

3F9EC7CF-6A47-456E-A49F-1C0700A3D749_1_201_a.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I agree with Dale. I'll even put a few drops of Denatured Alcohol in it first to clean out any thing that might be used for packing. After a couple of drops of machine oil it works like a champ.

KenB259

I have made quite a few of these and have found that it is very difficult to get the transmission tight by itself. What I do is screw in the transmission as far as I can then push on the cap a bit and use that to tighten it fully. Lastly I press on the cap the rest of the way. Never had one come loose and I use one everyday.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

A single drop of WD-40 (don't just spray it on) to loosen up the transmission is what I use.

magpens

"I did try wd40 and clock oil. Seems to work ok outside of the pen, but once I insert it the nightmare starts"

So .... sounds like more than just a stiff transmission. . I haven't had the same experience that you are having. . Sorry !

The twist cap engages the twist mechanism and those two hold together by friction.
The twist mechanism should twist freely even if the cap is not fully pressed on ... see if there is the same problem in the "not-fully-on" state.
Could the twist cap be binding on the clip assembly when the cap is fully pressed on ?
I am thinking that there might be some misalignment which is causing your problem

TonyL

I have made many...but have not had that problem with that one yet (as very, very nice pen and knob). I would call Penn State and have them replace them all. I have not much success with cleaning or lubing. Looks like others have though.

WriteON

try not pressing the top cap to where it is contacting the clip. Leave a slight gap.... a little bit of space for movement.
as WD40 it's more of a BreakFree than a lube and it has an odor. For lubes I like watch oil.
BTW... nice GT 's

Last edited:

More4dan

I've had a similar problem with the Majestic Squire kit. It had a burr in the top coupler where the transmission screws in. I use a tapered reamer from the top with a few twist to get it working. Here is what I use, about $3 from HF.

0628C121-949E-4BA0-AFA0-34F5E46D6D2A.jpeg

Danny

Top Bottom