pRNA Pen Quartet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A quartet of cell biology researcher friends approached me to make them a set of pens reflecting their work on RNA. Here they are with a few little thoughts:

No one knows what pRNA (penRNA) looks like or actually does.
The three primary classes of RNA are messenger, ribosomal, and transfer; so pRNA likely straddles messenger since pens make messages and transfer since they transfer information.
RNA is a single helix, and I told them this is good because I'd just run out of deoxyribose resin, but still had ribose resin on hand (and they were glad to hear it).
Besides, I'm only doing single helix work right now because it brings back fond memories of childhood haircuts at the barber shop; sitting on a couple of phone books, mesmerized by the slowly rotating barber pole, etc.
I also explained that I'll substitute flakes for RNA polymerases (and they were OK with that).
I further explained that it may be years before we fully understand the actual structure and function of pRNA (they agreed, and were ready to go with this first model).
I emphasized that as a father of 3 daughters, I hoped that this would also celebrate the unsung work and creative scientific adventurism of Rosalind Franklin, a true mother of the helices working with Watson and Crick (they got it).
They like the pens.
They've forgiven my science jive and encourage further study:

attachment.php

Happy Monday to all - and celebrate your RNA (maybe take it out to lunch) - Bob

Attachments

• pRNAPens,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    pRNAPens,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Breathtaking pens mate with these you could apply and shine in good company in the Guild of Penturners with others on this forum. I follow with great interest every submission you make in awe.

Peter.

Bob in SF

Many thanks for the kind words!

Peter/PenPal - thanks for your suggestion - I'll look into it.

This little foray has sparked an interest in more pens that celebrate cells, organelles, molecules, etc. among my other researcher pals

It's a small world after all.

Happy Friday to all who make things - Bob

mmayo

A quartet of cell biology researcher friends approached me to make them a set of pens reflecting their work on RNA. Here they are with a few little thoughts:

No one knows what pRNA (penRNA) looks like or actually does.
The three primary classes of RNA are messenger, ribosomal, and transfer; so pRNA likely straddles messenger since pens make messages and transfer since they transfer information.
RNA is a single helix, and I told them this is good because I'd just run out of deoxyribose resin, but still had ribose resin on hand (and they were glad to hear it).
Besides, I'm only doing single helix work right now because it brings back fond memories of childhood haircuts at the barber shop; sitting on a couple of phone books, mesmerized by the slowly rotating barber pole, etc.
I also explained that I'll substitute flakes for RNA polymerases (and they were OK with that).
I further explained that it may be years before we fully understand the actual structure and function of pRNA (they agreed, and were ready to go with this first model).
I emphasized that as a father of 3 daughters, I hoped that this would also celebrate the unsung work and creative scientific adventurism of Rosalind Franklin, a true mother of the helices working with Watson and Crick (they got it).
They like the pens.
They've forgiven my science jive and encourage further study:

attachment.php

Happy Monday to all - and celebrate your RNA (maybe take it out to lunch) - Bob

After working at the USC Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology for almost twenty years and teaching HS and college biology for 40 years, it was familiar music in your write up. I like the pens too; lucky researchers to have such beautiful writing art.

Bob in SF

Mark Mayo wrote: "After working at the USC Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology for almost twenty years and teaching HS and college biology for 40 years, it was familiar music in your write up. I like the pens too; lucky researchers to have such beautiful writing art".

Mark - Many thanks! Yes - kindred spirits. If science, particularly the life sciences, don't fill us will wonder, awe, humility, and humanity, I don't what will. Any curricular swing away from real science will be to the detriment of future generations.

Warm regards, and thanks again - Bob

Last edited:

OZturner

More Glorious Adventures from the World of Bob,
I got lost except for the Helix and the Barbers Pole,
Fantastic Kaleidoscopic Pen Blanks, entwined with a single helix of "Brass",
Here I am Guessing, for only Bob knows.
Excellent Concept and Execution.
Your Quartet of Researchers are most fortunate to have an Original and Unique "Bob in SF" Pen.
Congratulations, I look forward to your Next Journey and Subsequent Creation my Friend.
Brian.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Brian - Many thanks, Friend - the secrets will be revealed - stay tuned - Bob

(more fun ahead. away for some jazz gigs this weekend, back in the shop next week)

Top Bottom