Prize Distribution this year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Hi all,

I was hoping we could figure something out for contacting prize distributors this year. Last year, we had everyone send me a private message indicating what prize they wanted, and their address...

The issue was that 90 percent of people did not send me an email. I sent about a thousand emails asking people for their address, and trying to sort out what prize they wanted.

We discussed having people submit their address with their submission this year...i.e. if their address was not included in their answer to the trivia contest, then they would not be considered to have followed the rules.

I don't think I can do it the way I did last year....it was the coordinating of prize choices that was the big concern. So I was hoping that we could have a few things change this year:

1. People submit their full name, email, and address with their entry...if one or two do not, it's not the end of the world, but I can't track down everyone again - I just about burnt out last time. Most of the time, I had to tell people they won. The email is for those prizes that are sent out electronically.

2. Reduce the frequency of prize choices...if we're having a first, second, and third place in contests, then the prizes should reflect that, and show the different value...i.e. first place wins a $50 gc, second a $25, and third an envelope of blanks...A lot of time was spent last year going back and forth with people only to hear that "whatever B chooses, send me the other"...most of the time, neither cared which one they won. If they do, they can swap later! :)

3. Choice: Perhaps the way to fix this is to have the person in charge of the contest forward the address of the winner to the donating member, and I'll take care of the sponsors? I dont think this is necessary..

The other option is to have the prize coordinator send me the name of the winner and their address, and the member name of the donator. I spent a lot of time last year going back into posts to find out who was donating a prize, because I was told 'Jimmy X won the box of blanks"

I don't know; perhaps I'm being lazy this morning, but I've already been told by my fiance that I'm spending too much time on the computer canvassing for prizes; I've been given "the look" already! :wink:

Does this sound feasible? I don't mind doing 90 percent of the work; I just dont' want to have to track down winners to get their addresses. If the address is sent to me with the name of the winner, and the prize they won, I'll save me hours of tracking down winners.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I would say have them submit their full name, email, and address with their entry, if they don't then they are disqualified for not following the rules.
Also, don't give choices....just give a prize.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Andrew, I agree with Monty and Dario.

Also, if you have too much going, and it sounds like you do!, I can handle getting addresses of winners. I definitely like the "enter correctly or be disqualified" idea. When I do the raffles, I specify that I need a username, but a fair number can't figure that out.

wdcav1952

Andrew,

How about this? I will keep an eye on the contests. When a winner is announced, I will send them a standard "you won" form that I will save in Word. It will request they supply name/address and so forth to me. I will then forward the mailing information to the donor of the prize.

I think we should consider a window of time in which the prize should be claimed by the winner. This could be posted in the Bash forum if that is what we decide to do.

Any ideas or comments?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,

You also are not "short of things to do!"

Dawn and I would be happy to handle this, if you like.

Your "modus operandus" sounds like the plan. Am I correct in assuming the donor SHIPS the prizes, so we are just coordinating who gets what? We can do that, if you want.

Both of us are on the forum several times a day, so we can start a spreadsheet following any "bash" threads that have prizes. Shouldn't be difficult.

Let me know!!

fiferb

I think the daily trivia gives out the most prizes with at least one per day depending on the number of available prizes. If we could get a list of prizes for each day we could post what will be won as we post the question. This would eliminate choices as well.

Dario

The prize should either be allocated before the contest ...OR...
chosen via a raffle after (can be multiple groups, 1 for 1st place, another for 2nd place, etc.)

Or something similar, making things fair.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you want us to do it, I will coordinate whichever way you all would like.

Personally, except for the timelag, I like Dario's raffle. Maybe WEEKLY?????

The weeks winners in a pot for the weeks prizes in the second pot, pull one number from each - you are matched up???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bruce's way is easier - that's ok too.

And more people will compete if the prize is "nicer" - this way you know in advance what you are trying to win.
(Also whoever is coordinating only has one problem, getting info on the WINNER to the SHIPPER - Simpler!)

I'm REAL flexible, cause I still think most compete for bragging rights - the prize is just a "add-on".

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Cav, your plate is much bigger than mine, so thanks but no thanks for the offer. I have no problem coordinating prizes as long as the information is all collected before it is sent to me.

I'm not sure I understand the raffle idea...but at the very least, after I've compiled all the prize donations, we can start divying them up...let's save that for a bit though, as I'm still working on a few sponsors.

I'm not trying to pass the buck here...if everyone could just make sure that they ask for addresses, and then pass those onto me so that I don't have to track them down, that'll be plenty! I cannot afford another 'look', after all!

wdcav1952

Andrew,

I am doing better, and think this 4 day weekend I am taking may be the best medicine. I even did a bit on my treadmill this afternoon and survived. I am hoping the the main problem was my mild COPD, 1.5 lungs and bronchitis combined to kick my rather large butt. I am working on getting back in some sort of shape.

I think you should consider Ed and Dawn's kind offer to coordinate prize mailings.

Ed, it would be a coordinating and emailing effort as the donors are responsible for mailing their prizes. The exception will be that all prizes donated by Jeff Powell (workinforwood) He and I worked out a deal so that I will be responsible for mailing his prizes.

I am for the idea of announcing what each prize will be when the contest starts. I agree that a good prize should stimulate participation.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I will be happy to administer in any way ya'all want. Just tell me how you would like it done - we're ready to do it!

Randy_

When a final decision is made, will someone please notify me so I cam rewrite the instructions for the Trivia Contest?

I have discussed the issue of prize choice with Andrew and have already eliminated that option for the Trivia Contest.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andrew!!!

There will be at least 80 prize packages awarded!!! I had no idea how much work you did last year. PLEASE LET US HELP!!!

IF you need assistance in locating donors, or any other tasks, let me know what I can do - honest, when assigned a task, I DO get it DONE!! No follow up required - tell me what to do and when you need it done, OK???

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
This year's easier already, Ed - I did a contest too, last year. :biggrin:

I'm actually doing pretty well right now, Ed, in terms of locating donors. The hectic time comes later, when the prizes are awarded.

I might need some help then - we'll have to figure out how that'll work, though, as I'll have to do all the business ones, as I have the contacts there... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I guess.

Top Bottom