Printed label colors running ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JUICEDSS

I have entered the world of label casting and am having an issue. I am using Online labels #09805WJ Weatherproof Matte for Inkjet. I find that the red colors are bleeding and there is a brownish yellow around the red. They look fine when I do the pour. I am using a pressure pot with Liquid Diamonds at 42PSI. When they come out, the brown/yellow has appeared. In the pictures below I tried putting a coat of clear on them prior to casting. The same thing happened immediately.

NOTE: While writing this post, I realized the labels I have specify inkjet. I printed mine on a color laser printer and not an inkjet. Could that be the issue ? I see that they make a weatherproof polyester label for Laser printers. Is anyone using the polyester labels with a laser ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going crazy!! lol

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

I think you hit on the problem. Not experienced with the situation. Look forward to the others who do this sort of work to hear their input.

hooked

Inkjet paper has a coating on it to help the paper absorb the right amount of ink and to help prevent bleeding. As you probably know, laser uses toner rather than ink and the coating on inkjet paper prevents the toner from absorbing into the paper properly.

The coating from the paper can also melt onto the laser printer and over time damage the printer.

budnder

Something to keep in mind also, may or may not be a factor, but Liquid Diamonds stays liquid for a long time prior to it's cure. I've had it "soak" through some stamps and things I've cast and that really surprised me...

JUICEDSS

Inkjet paper has a coating on it to help the paper absorb the right amount of ink and to help prevent bleeding. As you probably know, laser uses toner rather than ink and the coating on inkjet paper prevents the toner from absorbing into the paper properly.

The coating from the paper can also melt onto the laser printer and over time damage the printer.
I went ahead and purchased the Laser labels and will try again when they arrive. I'd be willing to bet that is the issue as you said. Thanks for the input.

My other option would have been to get an inkjet but I just picked this up from work. We replaced it with a newer model and I was able to get it along with enough toner for my lifetime. lol

HP4525 Color laser

I'll report back in a few days as to the result.

eharri446

You might want to get some Krylon clear spray paint and seal the entire label either before putting on the tube or after. This will help prevent the resin from leaching into the label paper.

JUICEDSS

I purchased some Avery weatherproof polyester laser labels while waiting on the delivery from onlinelabels. The colors run the same on the weatherproof laser labels. I just received the onlinelabel order so I will try with them tonight.

I'm not very optimistic that this will have a different result.

Is there anyone on here that uses a laser printer to print their labels or is everyone using inkjet printers ?

JUICEDSS

For anyone following along, I did a pour last night using Alumilite clear. Using a laser printer on the weatherproof laser labels from online labels. 42 psi in the pressure pot for 3 hours. They came out clear without any color running that I can see. I will turn them tonight when I get home and see what I end up with. Stay tuned................

Mikeyt

I use the Avery weather proof laser labels in a brother laser printer. I don't have any color runs so far. I do a lot of polyester resin and alumilite the only issues I have had are with just red on white like the Canadian flag. It will have a yellow hue some times from the red bleeding or running into the white. I will use clear krylon paint on these to avoid it. Also I would go to fed ex office and have them print out what I needed and that worked great.

When I tried with the ink jet printer it would run or look blurry and if resin was liquid for longer it would usually run. That is just my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JUICEDSS

Finally I am successful.

What I learned:
- The original issue was the colors running. (I was using inkjet labels with the laser printer)
- I found that using the laser printer with the correct Weatherproof laser labels corrected the colors running. However, after the Thursday pour mentioned above, there is a reaction between the laser ink and the Alumilite. There are other threads on here about a silvery appearance that kind of looks like snowflakes. I read elsewhere that I may have not left it in the pot long enough. 24 hrs. and it would still happen.

- Friday night went and purchased a new inkjet printer and no more issues. 3 hours in the pot and they are ok. 24 hours later, still ok. Has worked on 16 blanks so far. (Side note: First inkjet had a defective print head just to add to my frustration)

This has been a truly expensive and frustrating journey. Thankfully in the end, I won!! lol

I hope this helps someone down the road. End result for me was an inkjet is the way to go, keep away from lasers.

rd_ab_penman

The ink needs to completely dry then needs to be seal to prevent bleeding.
I apply two light costs of Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic coating and let dry for a few hours.

Les

Attachments

• 4A - UV-Resistant.jpg
    4A - UV-Resistant.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom