Prickly pear slimline (big pic)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
Black and white Opaque homebrew cactus and PR blank, Red paint on the barrels and tubes. I didnt let the glue dry before i tried ot true the tubes, which caused the tubes to push out and cut the blanks a bit short. Easy save with the triple CB. My first homebrew cactus blank!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(P.S. i tried to attach the photo but it is too big:biggrin:)

1_first_cactus_blank.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Actually, I agree. The blank came out ok, but the pen is, as Cleveland Brown would say... "Turrable". I think i could stand to add more pigment to the PR. I want the color to come from the material and not the tube. Sure is fun trying!

David Keller

Nice for a first try... It seems that you should compress the skeletons before casting to get a more dense pack of cactus in the blank. To me, there's too much tube showing and not enough cactus. Just my .02

its_virgil

• Use more cactus...fill the mold cavity....full...stacked in like cord wood.
  • leave the polyresin clear
  • Drill blank and paint the hole...well, not the hole but the cylinder created by the hole.
  • Don't glue cactus to the tube and cast it like snake skin.
  • colored PR and clear PR with painted hole gives two totally different looks....I like the clear with painted hole.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Actually, I agree. The blank came out ok, but the pen is, as Cleveland Brown would say... "Turrable". I think i could stand to add more pigment to the PR. I want the color to come from the material and not the tube. Sure is fun trying!

OKLAHOMAN

Ok Ron do as Don said.. 1st pack the mold FULL.. Second Cast CLEAR....3rd Reverse paint the blank after drilling...a small secret befor reverse painting clean the hole with lacquer thinner to remove drilling residue. Also bleach your cactus at least 3 times for best color results....

RAdams

Banned
Thanks for all the tips! I am still experimenting with stuff. It is interesting to say the least! I am learning alot. My next one should be finished tomorrow!

Top Bottom