Prickly Pear Cactus Duro EDC set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I finished these last night and just assembled a few hours ago. The yellow back-painted one I chatted about previously. I had just enough of the blank left for another EDC pen as long as I used the "modified" dimensions as others have described (discard the white extender atop the refill and shorten the tube by about 1/2").

For both blanks, I painted the inside of the blanks after drilling and painted the tubes, let dry overnight. Tinted my epoxy with the same color and let set overnight. After turning, I finished with Glu boost, 3 coats of each, then applied some Mcguire's Plastic Polish.

Yellow Testor's Enamel. Red, yellow and Blue Testor's Enamel mix to get a dark ugly color.

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1404.jpg
    IMG_1404.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 246
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Never come accross prickly pear cactus in my neck of the woods but they certainly make a unique looking pen, and bound to be a talking point next time you pull one out at a board meeting. I like different and thse pens fit the bill. Great job, Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Never come accross prickly pear cactus in my neck of the woods but they certainly make a unique looking pen, and bound to be a talking point next time you pull one out at a board meeting. I like different and thse pens fit the bill. Great job, Mark

G'Day Alan. I bought these several years ago (I still have a second blank) from a famous gent in Texas - MesquiteMan. I do not know if he makes these blanks anymore. They were not cheap, but for what he needed to do to clean/prep the cactus carcass, it was not overpriced (I've made 1 or 2 custom blanks... I understand the time commitment). These were perfectly cast and turned nicely. I have been wanting to use them for a special order, and my brother wanted 10-15 of the Duro EDC's, so I dug one out. I prefer the dark background, but as we have read - the consensus is split between the Yellow and blackish backpaint.

Both are very cool looking Mark. I give the edge to the dark one because I like black, but I'd be happy carrying either one. Really nice job on these unique pens, and a great example of how backpainting can completely change the look of a blank.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I vote for the dark one. I like the clear cast with the colored background. Makes me want to try a cholla that way.

I turned 2-3 cholla a few years back and they were just not my cup of tea. I have a friend that resides close to Tucson, and while we hiked 2 years ago I got to see dead prickly pear cactus. I have a hard time imagining what Curtis (and others) need to do to prep these blanks. I could see the dead cactus, with stones, dirt clumps, bits of material in between each layer. The matrix is wonderfully detailed. Very refined as compared to cholla. A very unusual blank to be sure. Time to appreciate what nature presents us, either alive or dead.

And I also favor the darker background. ;)

Top Bottom