Pricing of items in IAP Classifieds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

I'm interested in hearing other IAP members views about pricing items that are put up for sale in our Classifieds, both "Individual" and "Business". I reckon I have the idea that items sold by IAP members to other IAP members should be sold at a "very reasonable" price that would be considerably less expensive than going to a retail store. I'm not saying that I feel sellers should "give the farm away" and lose money on items.
I also understand that it's the buyer's choice as to whether or not to buy items at advertised prices in the classifieds. I guess, at heart, I'm just not much of a capitalist. I have a hard time profiting from other people. I reckon it's just the old 60's thing in me.
I'd like to hear what other IAP members think when they see items for sale in the Classifieds. And, just as importantly, when you put something up for sale in the Classifieds, how do you decide on price?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bca1313

I feel like I have gotten some great deals on the IAP classified. Many items were well below the market value, but others were closer to being in line with the cost you would find at a store.

I buy from IAP vendors when I can because of the knowledge that I get form the site. I also want to support the site.

You can look at the group buys as a way of seeing things below market value becuase people are getting group prices when only buying a few kits. They could not do that without IAP of one of the penturning sites.

What I have noticed is that the really good deals are gone so fast that if you are not paying attention you may not even know something went up for sale.

That is my .02 worth.

Ben

kent4Him

I have no problem with the prices that members are asking for. If it's more than I'm willing to spend, I don't buy it. If someone prices things too high, they won't sell it. If they couldn't make a profit from it, they wouldn't sell it. No one is required to buy anything from other IAP members.

Dario

Al,

Depending on the item, there may be many factors to consider.

If you are talking about kits it is easy to tell but wood for instance is a different beast. I sold some wood which at the time I thought is very good price only to learn later (from another IAP member) that I can buy better at another online store at almost half the price! [B)][:0] That said, I paid a lot more than it can be had from that store...and after doing a lengthy search too!!!

There are also free wood...but most of the time it is actually not free. I collected some oak burl a year or so back and ended up renting a uhaul for it. Damaged a few chainsaw chains and almost had an accident (a real close call) while collecting. It left my face and one side of my body badly bruised. All these only to have cracked pieces after wards even through I treated them with anchorseal. How do I price that? If I even ask for $5.00/hour for my time, no one will be willing to pay for any of the blanks for sure. What kept me going is my love for what I am doing and selling is just a way to recoup some of my costs. If anyone want some great, if not I am fine with it too.

I am also a customer...I buy here when I see something I like...even if I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Why? I don't really know. I just do it and honestly, happy doing it. [:)] I guess I can relate to some of the vendors.

Honestly, one reason I am slowing down is the guilt feeling. I know there are a lot of happy customers but I am sure someone (and worse probably more) is not satisfied and he/she probably decided to stay silent...that bugs me. I really would rather hear something and give me a chance to rectify it.

If I can afford it, I would probably give away wood everyday [:D]

So, the long and short of it...buy if you like the item. NEVER assume it is the best deal around because most likely it isn't.

JimGo

I find that the stuff we get from the classifieds, or at least from the vendors with whom I've dealt, represents a better value than what you can get elsewhere. Yes, I can get Cocobolo cheaper than Bill Jacobs sells his (sorry Bill, don't meant to pick on you!), but I know that if I buy 10 blanks from Bill, I'll get 10 blanks that I will feel guilty about using on a slimline because they have so much figure. That means that either 1) I can charge more for my pen (and disproportionately more than the per-blank price difference) or 2) my pen is more likely to sell than another pen because it's going to look better (even putting aside the fantabulous finish I put on my pens versus the run-of-the-mill stuff like Fangar's [:D]). Either way, I win, and the $0.50-$1 more I MIGHT have paid per blank versus going through Woodcraft or the like is easily justified that way. eBay has been a good source of blanks for me, but when you find stuff that you really like, the odds are that others will find and like those blanks too, and they will drive the price up quite a bit.

I also buy from the vendors here because 1) most make pens and understand what makes a good pen blank, and 2) most support IAP though cash and other donations.

Thus, I respectfully take issue with Dario's comment that you sould "NEVER assume it is the best deal around..." - when you take the factors I mentioned into account, I think the stuff offered here is a great deal!

low_48

DocStram,
Ya got any Amboyna burl that you would like to sell at a very reasonable price? How about buckeye burl, or snakeskin blanks? I just wanted to be the first on the list when you want to do a favor for another member.[}:)][:D]

gerryr

I buy wood from the people here for one simple reason, I can see what I'm getting. If I order from one of the catalogs, I can see a picture of one piece, which most likely won't look much like what I get. In comparison to the catalog prices, I think what people charge here is reasonable. If they have some wood I want or just can't live without, I decide if I'm willing to pay their price. I've found I get better quality wood and more of it for the money than through any catalog. Also, with people like Dario and BigRob, you can get just a couple of pieces of something to try it rather than 5 or 10 the way some companies sell it.

What it boils down to is your definition of "reasonable." What is reasonable for me, may not be reasonable for you. I know what I can pay for a blank and still make a profit, depending on the type of pen.

Daniel

My number one reason to buy from other members, Is that I can talk to them and get just what I need. I expect to pay for it. I have had several people contact me after post a general comment about somethign I am doing, offering me a solution. sometimes they have given me wood or whatever. other times it has been a trade. and some have even charged me almost apologetically. there is no need to be ashamed about charging. i don't expect a price break much less a rock bottom price offer. If I can't pay to complete a project then it is time for it to go on the shelf until I can. suppliers, members, and others offering there goods here is a convenience in itself and ads to the value of this group. for them to run specials for this group is a cherry on top. I don't expect people to give stuff away and I am a big fan of the group buys. By the way I don't think people should make money on group buys either but that's another topic. anyway I think anyone should be able to offer there items at whatever price they want to sell it at. if that is a rock bottom price that's great. but that should never be expected or a requirment.

Rifleman1776

The folks here, and at TPS, can be relied on. Prices are usually very reasonable. I don't know how Big Rob sells at his low prices and comes out with a profit. I sell for profit but try to be competitive.

JimGo

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />I don't know how Big Rob sells at his low prices and comes out with a profit.

Have you SEEN Big Rob? He intimidates his suppliers into giving them the best possible deal. It's only after the deal is finalized that they realize what a nice guy he is!

smoky10

I have never been disappointed with anything I bought from members of the IAP. I have bought blanks from several and once I needed some PR blanks for a "in memory of" project and no one had just plain black PR blanks. I contacted Ed Davidson (yoyospin)and he not only made them for me but shipped them in just a couple of days. Thats great service.
I don't often sell my blanks but will trade them. I traded a member once and felt like I took advantage of him. I was expecting local woods,to him, but got some really nice stuff. We have good people here and I will support them as long as their product prices is in line with everyone elses.

DocStram

low_48,
Too bad you didn't come to Bubbasville SE. I gave a box of about 40 or so blanks away. I probably could have sold them in the Classifieds and made a little money off of them ... but they were extras .... and there were a lot of dang nice guys there .... some of whom probably didn't have an extra blank to spare.

Everybody,
So, I guess the point is, IAP is "family" for some, a low profit margin for others, and a capital opportunity for others, or some kind of mix of all three.

The real point of this post was to hear other's thoughts about pricing in the Classified. Very Interesting reading.

Like Eagle says, "Caveat Emptor!"

Dario

Al,

There you go!

If your brother-in-law (or even your brother) is a used car salesman....you still don't necessarily buy your next car from him [;)]

woodbutcher

I feel if you can profit from your work................GREAT!!!!!! Nobody here is getting rich selling pen blanks or whatever else may be found in the classifieds. Most all the wood I have seen for sale had very favorable figuring and looked to be solid. I consider all here to be friends and wish to all the best. That said I'm gonna go check the classifieds,
Jim[:)]

PenWorks

I IAP does a great job in its classifieds, there are three distinct catagories.

Group Buys- you know some member is going out of his way for the group to obtain discounted pricing for all, with no profit.
At best, he/she will end up a couple of bucks ahead for their troubles, or a couple a bucks in the hole.

Individual- Just that, not a typical business selling stuff. He asks whatever he/she wants. The market place or in this case IAP members
make their own decission.

Business- Just that, a business will addvertise their wares, I would hope they make a profit at it, or they will not be around next year to sell their stuff to us.

With everything being equal, I would rather buy from a IAP member, generally it is someone I know & can find. I would also rather give my money & business to someone I know. When I make a purchase, I am not thinking of someone's profit, but wether it is a good buy and can I use it. I have never been disappointed with my purchases here.

BigRob777

Thank you Frank and Jim,
Hey Jim, where's that lunch money? LOL I sure hope folks who don't know me realize you're kidding.[:D] Like Dario I do my best to offer blanks for a fair price. I tried to calculate my per-hour wage over the last year and a half and have figured it to be pennies (plus some nice wood). I do my thing to help pay for my hobby and it turned into another hobby. I love the contact with members here and find folks here to be wonderful. I don't know how much longer my back will allow me to cut blanks, but I hope to do this for a while yet.

If this were just a business, I'd have probably left after I cut my finger tip off the first time (it happened twice in 6 weeks last summer). On the other hand, (no pun intended originally), if I didn't make a cent and this hobby didn't provide me with wood for my hobby, I may have stopped too. Like Al said, it's a combination.

This has been interesting reading and it has led me to an even deeper affection (not infection, LOL) for the good folks here. I've made a lot of good friends here and it's given me something more to wake up for.

Thanks for being family,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom