Price? Someone wants to buy my corncob pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Okay, help me out here. HOw much should I ask for an Atlas pen made from a blue dyed corncob with titanium fittings - the silvery colored kind, not black titanium - with a really nice CA finish? Assume it's a fairly high caliber of craftsmanship and that fit and finish have noe observable flaws. (I ain't tooting my own horn - I just did good here).

Sorry for the lousy pic,but you know what I mean - it's a corn-cob pen.

http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/jtate/bluecorncob.jpg

2006122916258_bluecorncob.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Julia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Janet,

It's obviously YOUR decision. But make sure you cover the cost of the CA glue!!![;)][;)][;)]

(I charge $38 for cobs, cigar-style, not dyed - hope this helps)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Janet,

It's obviously YOUR decision. But make sure you cover the cost of the CA glue!!![;)][;)][;)]

(I charge $38 for cobs, cigar-style, not dyed - hope this helps)

Huh?

Janet who?

Julia;

I have not done an atlas in corncob but I get $45 for a plain corncob cigar and $55 for a dyed cigar. They sell well for me. This price is for Gold, Chrome, & Black only; higher end platings are $10 more.

Rifleman1776

You can always fall back on the basic 3X rule of thumb. Cost of kit, including some for shipping, cost of blank times 3 and rounded up. If you made the blank, pick a fair representative price for what you would pay at retail. I believe somewhere in the $40.00-$45.00 range would be fair. A lot depends on your market. In some locations it would bring $100.00. In my town it wouldn't bring $10.00. (cheapskates)

DocStram

Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Where I live you would be lucky to get $20 for it (cheapo people here). Eighty miles away (Sun Valley) you could name your price!
Signing your pens "Weasel Bill" might just increase the value of your pens. Just a helpful tip! [:D]

tseger

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />
Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Where I live you would be lucky to get $20 for it (cheapo people here). Eighty miles away (Sun Valley) you could name your price!
Signing your pens "Weasel Bill" might just increase the value of your pens. Just a helpful tip! [:D]
This may sound like a silly question, but how do you sign your pens? Tim

jtate

Tim,
Actually it's not a silly question at all. In the fountain pen collecting community it's kind of a hot topic as people do more refurbishing (as opposed to simple restoration) of pens. The concern is that later collectors who might find a pen which has been outfitted with new materials might think these are original to ther manufacturer. Thos of us with dignity and integrity and concern for the future of the collecting culture (note my nose being held aloft) are planning to have the pens we've embellished pens engraved with some indication of who did the embellishment.

in a vein different from collecting, some folks have their pens engraved with some indication that they did the work - I'm thinking of a talented penturner in Atlanta with a lovely symbol which is a signature of sorts engraved on his pens. I think that's a wonderful idea.

I'm planning to send a bunch of work to Vic in Atlanta to do my engraving. Just as soon as I get over this ear infection.

DocStram

Originally posted by jtate
<br />
in a vein different from collecting, some folks have their pens engraved with some indication that they did the work - I'm thinking of a talented penturner in Atlanta with a lovely symbol which is a signature of sorts engraved on his pens. I think that's a wonderful idea.

And it's sooooo classy, isn't it JT! Too bad my last name doesn't end in an "H". I can't seem to come up with a decent logo with an "S". Oh well.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Sorry, Julia. You just "looked like" a Janet.

Thanks a bunch, Steven!! (Mudder)

Funny Ed,

My older brother is named Steven.......Are you telepathetic to?

mewell

We watched a demo at "The Woodworking Show" by Kirk DeHeer where he used a wood burner to "sign" his pen right under where the clip would be! I've played with signing pens using a 56,000 RPM air tool with a diamond bit, but it is nothing I'm doing to everything.

Mark

mrcook4570

Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I can't seem to come up with a decent logo with an "S". Oh well.

I know of a fellow who used an "S" as a part of his logo, although you may be required to wear blue tights and a red cape to use it [:p]

BigRob777

I know this isn't the SOYP forum, but I have to say that is one of the best ccpens I've ever seen. I've got a half dozen pieces laying in my shop from Johnny, that I have yet to touch. HMMMMM!
Rob

jtate

HINT: glue your tube in before dying it and then turn it to a wee bit more than the dimensions of the final pen. This maximizes the depth of color and still lets the underlying cob color come through when you sand to a final shape. The cob may swell as it's being dyed and may not return to its oringal dimensions. It may end up a bit longer at the ends than before you dyed it. This mean use yopur pen mill again before you do the final turning.

Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom