Pretty Wood Pen - few weeks late

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

I intended to make a Panache for the BASH pretty Wood Pen contest. Turns out I spent all my time finishing up other projects and working on Edgar's puzzles, so I missed the deadline. I should have saved this one for the next contest, but can't help but share it right away. It's curly cottonwood that I stabilized with CJ. I put a bit of effort into the grain alignment, it ended up not being that noticeable, but if you look close you can see it.

PSX_20200306_214935.jpg PSX_20200306_215259.jpg PSX_20200306_215142.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful "pretty wood" pen .... always a welcome display !!!!

The grain alignment really "makes it" !!!! . Very well done !!

TDahl

That's really nice. I think the alignment of the grain does standout (especially in the first photo). Great job.

Dehn0045

It is a beautiful piece of wood. Did you torch it or is the coloration all natural. Winner either way !

The colors are natural, but may have darkened slightly when I dried in the toaster oven. I think the darker colors are from a little bit of spalting. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Dehn0045

Beautiful! And the panache is a great kit to show off that gorgeous wood.

Thanks Jay! The size of the pen really shows a lot of a blank, but at 0.788 for the largest diameter you really need an oversized blank. This one was about 7/8" minimum but thankfully the one end was a little larger, so I was happy I was able to make it work. If I had a little more skills I would try the Blingless Harvest like @Fred Bruche but for now I'll stick with the Panache for PWP contests.

wizard

That looks absolutely beautiful! I had not heard of curly cottonwood before. I will not forget it after seeing your pen. You did a wonderful job displaying all the features of the wood using the larger area of a Panache pen. The alignment is great...you have a great eye for composition.
Impressive! Best, Doc:)

Top Bottom