Pretty Wood Pen Contest Rules.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Default 2018 IAP BASH Pretty Wood Pen Contest
In addition to the Universal Contest Rules, the following rules apply:

Blank Material

-Your blank material must be wood. No plastics, no composites, no metal, no casting, no mixed wood and plastics, nor any material other than wood is allowed.

-No embellishments to the blank are allowed. This means, for example, no inlay, onlay, overlay, stickers, oops bands, CNC, laser art, segmenting, lamination, celtic knots, burning, engraving, or carving is allowed and will cause disqualification.

-Stabilized wood is allowed.

-Dyes, stains, pigmentation, paints, or any other colorants are not allowed.

Pen kit/component hardware

-Any commercially available kit/component hardware may be used, whether ballpoint, fountain, or rollerball.

-No modification to the kit/component hardware is allowed. You must use all parts of the stock kit/component set.

-Kitless pens are not allowed.

Photographs

-Two photographs are required for entry. One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right. This gives a view of both sides of the pen. If you do not abide by this constraint, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-Please submit photographs of maximum 800 x 600. You should hit this mark, and you are responsible for cropping and sizing your photographs. If you don't meet this requirement, you will be asked to resubmit photographs or risk disqualification.

-You may use a commercially available, clear plastic pen stand as a prop.

-No other props are allowed.

-Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.

-No montages, watermarks, borders or any other identifying marks that might reveal the identity of the maker.

To Enter

Submit your entry by email to: prettywoodpen@penturners.org and include the following with your entry:

-Name, Username, email address,
-the pretty wood you chose to use (please, no stories)
-the two pictures required.

Do not post your entry in this thread

One entry per person

Please send a private message to Brian G after you submit your entry to help ensure that your entry has been received.

Entries for The Pretty Wood Contest will be accepted starting February 1, 2018, and ending February 19, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. Central.

Please post questions in this thread, by private message to Brian G, or by email to prettywoodpen@penturners.org. I appreciate your patience as you wait for a response. I have limited forum access during business hours.

Get busy, good luck, and let us see your Pretty Wood Pen.

Prizes to be announced
Prizes
First - Norseman Drill bit set from Mark James $84
Second - gift certificate from Georges bit of Timber $50
Third - Ring neck pheasant blank set for jr gent from JohnU $35

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I'm a little confused when you say... "One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right."

Do you have an example we could see?

Thanks for organizing this!

jttheclockman

I'm a little confused when you say... "One photograph must be clip up, nib to the left. The second photograph must be clip up, nib to the right."

Do you have an example we could see?

Thanks for organizing this!

They want to see both sides of the pen so that you are just not posting the good side of the blank. Some people will do this when the show a pen. They show the "A" side of the pen and the back side is drab.

Rolandranch

There's another thread for this under the IAP management forum for events. He has some good examples (hopefully I linked correctly):

2018 IAP BASH Pretty Wood Pen Contest - International Association of Penturners

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

They want to see both sides of the pen so that you are just not posting the good side of the blank. Some people will do this when the show a pen. They show the "A" side of the pen and the back side is drab.

Oh, I see. And I see I'm not the first to ask. Thanks guys.

Brian G

Wow, just look at the prizes donated by generous members and vendors!

First - Norseman Drill bit set from Mark James $84
Second - gift certificate from Georges bit of Timber $50
Third - Ring neck pheasant blank set for jr gent from JohnU $35

I was a lucky recipient of a Norseman Drill set donated by Mark as a prize for a contest in last year's BASH. Those are fantastic drills!

I don't think George has a single piece of wood that doesn't qualify as a pretty wood!

A pheasant blank set from JohnU on a nicely turned Jr. Gent would be a perfect complement to your nicely turned PWP, wouldn't it?

WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Two members have offered additional prizes for a random drawing among all entrants that don't finish in the top three.

One member who chooses to remain anonymous has donated a genuine Lou Metcalf pretty wood pen! How cool is that?

Member greenmtnguy has donated some pretty wood pen blanks and a shredded money blank.

PWPrdp1.jpg PWPrdp2.jpg

Thank you Mark, George, John, Anonymous, and Alton for supporting the BASH and the PWP contest!

chartle

Ok need a judge's clarification

-Use a single-colored, plain background. The color and intensity of the background affects the highlights of your pen. The background should let your pen stand out, not interfere with it.

How "single colored" does the background need to be? I used a mostly single color slightly mottled background.

Brian G

Cliff,

I think the focus should be on the pen, and sometimes mottled or multi-colored backgrounds interfere/compete with the pen.

I recognize that some cloth material as background looks mottled. Maybe I should have used the term "non-patterned."

I won't disqualify any entry for the background, but I will suggest considering a re-shoot if, in my judgement, it affects the presentation of the pen.

I use a variety of pillow cases for backgrounds of pens I photograph. The color I choose is intended to complement the pen, but stay muted and unobtrusive.

chartle

Cliff,

I think the focus should be on the pen, and sometimes mottled or multi-colored backgrounds interfere/compete with the pen.

I recognize that some cloth material as background looks mottled. Maybe I should have used the term "non-patterned."

I won't disqualify any entry for the background, but I will suggest considering a re-shoot if, in my judgement, it affects the presentation of the pen.

I use a variety of pillow cases for backgrounds of pens I photograph. The color I choose is intended to complement the pen, but stay muted and unobtrusive.

OK currently I'm using a piece of vinyl floor tile, maybe I will try to find the other backdrops that came with my photo cube. As you can see by my avatar I only have the red one and my pen is "redish".

I may stop by the craft store and get some large sheets of felt. Should make a nice smooth back drop.

For the cloths that came with my cube I keep them crumpled.

greenacres2

I've got a few colors (red, white, black) of those slick polyester golf type shirts. I've taken to using those as background--don't attract fuzzies and such like the felt I was using. I drape them over a few pieces of wood, so the fronts are snagging a little--but I prefer to wear cotton shirts anyway!!
earl

Brian G

So do I, Cliff. So crumpled they are of no use. :biggrin:

Seriously, pillow cases work great. Might have to iron them. I've even used a clean tee shirt.

chartle

So do I, Cliff. So crumpled they are of no use. :biggrin:

Seriously, pillow cases work great. Might have to iron them. I've even used a clean tee shirt.

Well I crumple them because I don't want fold lines and ironing them just isn't going to work but I totally rethought everything and I'll be sending my entry in a few minutes. At some point I'll send you what I wanted to send you and you will see its like night and day.

But I've created a little break downable photo studio in my dining room. Much better than on my table saw in my 130 year old basement. :)

chartle

I've got a few colors (red, white, black) of those slick polyester golf type shirts. I've taken to using those as background--don't attract fuzzies and such like the felt I was using. I drape them over a few pieces of wood, so the fronts are snagging a little--but I prefer to wear cotton shirts anyway!!
earl

I hate those golf shirts I usually get one or two wearings and then they are all snagged. :mad:

Top Bottom