Pretty Wood Fail

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

I have been saving this River Oak Burl blank for quite a few years now, I thought I would use it for the Pretty Wood comp this year.

I drilled the cap blank with no issue, then onto the pen barrel, when I was pulling the drill bit out to clear the swarf, the drill chuck pulled out of the morse taper, this is the result :mad:.
I should have turned it down to 20mm so I could put it into the collet chuck, instead of drilling in the 4 jaw chuck, oh well, live and learn.
This was my only River Oak Burl blank, so you won't be seeing a pen made with it any time soon.
DSC_0152.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Im sorry that was messed up - that was a pretty blank! For future "special" woods - I like to drill a small hole first and then step up to the right bit. With all that figure what happens if you piece it back together -fill any voids with CA and sanding dust? It may be recoverable..

Ironwood

Im sorry that was messed up - that was a pretty blank! For future "special" woods - I like to drill a small hole first and then step up to the right bit. With all that figure what happens if you piece it back together -fill any voids with CA and sanding dust? It may be recoverable..
It does fit back together pretty good, so I will attempt a repair, it won't go to waste. Worst case is I use the cap blank on a kit less pen.

I was drilling it in 4 stages, 6mm , 8, 10, and 11.5mm, this was the 10mm drill.

EricRN

I have been saving this River Oak Burl blank for quite a few years now, I thought I would use it for the Pretty Wood comp this year.

I drilled the cap blank with no issue, then onto the pen barrel, when I was pulling the drill bit out to clear the swarf, the drill chuck pulled out of the morse taper, this is the result :mad:.
I should have turned it down to 20mm so I could put it into the collet chuck, instead of drilling in the 4 jaw chuck, oh well, live and learn.
This was my only River Oak Burl blank, so you won't be seeing a pen made with it any time soon.
View attachment 224025
I've had that happen but the other way around—the MT on the drill chuck comes out of the tail stock. Very frustrating. Very pretty piece of wood. I'm sure you'll find a good way to salvage it.

I do this when I'm drilling blanks that are overly long. Learned it by experience to things that happened similar to your experience. I start the drilling as usual, going in so far then pulling the bit back. But...as I get close to the end of the blank, instead of turning my lathe off to pull back the tail stock, I keep it running and carefully pull back the tail stock and the bit. I've had this same issue in the past but since I've started doing this process the chuck has never pulled out. Hope this makes sense.

magpens

Sure looks repairable to me, and with the grain pattern as it is, you'll probably never see the repair.

All the same .... it's a pity it happened. . Beautiful wood !!!

John Eldeen

It looks to me as you have come to the design modification phase of this blank. I have seen enough of you work to have faith that you will come up with something wonderful when it is finished. đź‘Ť

Top Bottom