Pressure/Vac question - Dyeing and stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Hello, fellow casting nerds! I got a question.

I've seen a few posts about methods of sucking/pushing liquids into wood using vacuum and pressure. I've dyed a few things with varying degrees of success. What I'm using to dye is DNA with Transtint dyes, and it seems to be working okay, but I still get the occasional batch where the wood doesn't seem to get fully dyed, and I'm using a lot of this box elder, to it's not like it's super hard.

When I dye, I put the blanks in a tub of DNA that has been heavily colored with dye, and vacuum it down. I've read about methods where after it sinks in the dye solution, people pull it out and pressurize it.

Can I pressurize while it's in the solution after dyeing, or do I need to pull it out for the air pressure to have effect, pushing the colorant into the center of the blank?

Thanks! :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Karl,

It is my understanding that you do not have to remove it and that is how I do it. I pull a vacuum and let it set for an hour or two, then release the vac pressure and pressurize it for a couple of hours, never opening the pot. Works well for me. Some people leave the vac or pressure on overnight.

Top Bottom