Pressure Pot without a compressor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeporter02

I posted earlier about needing to "shrink" my pressure pot because I'm using it without an air compressor. I thought I would post with pictures of my final setup that I've used a few times successfully now.

You can use a pressure pot without an air compressor. I use a high pressure, low volume battery powered tire inflator. It's one of the Ryobi One+ 18 v line. The problem is, the tire inflator takes over 5 minutes to pressurize a standard pot. If you're using a slow cure resin, this may not be a problem, but even if you're using Alumilite Clear Slow, you're going to be rushed trying to make it work. So I went about finding ways to "shrink" the available air space in my pot. Here's what I've got set up:

I went to my local Home Depot equivalent and found a plastic flower pot that fits about two inches below the top of my pressure pot. I cut a piece of scrap wood that fits snugly inside the flower pot (drilled a hole in the middle so you pull it out of the pot). I fill the pressure pot with water to just below the wooden lid on my flower pot. This now eliminates all the air below my wooden shelf. I place my mold on top of the shelf, close, and pressurize. It now takes the inflator about 45 seconds to pressurize the pot.

You can't run this setup with a compressor because your mold sits too close to the air intake; it would blow out all your resin with the high pressure air. But the inflator blows air in so slowly that it doesn't disturb the resin, so your mold can sit right under the air intake without any issues.

I've attached some pictures to show the setup.
A06C25E1-59BE-46CB-91A3-75B8CBCBA2DA.jpeg

Attachments

• 36250F00-1CB0-410F-A250-498006C46FE1.jpeg
    36250F00-1CB0-410F-A250-498006C46FE1.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 5174FAD7-C858-4E3F-80F1-A5BB0CE714AC.jpeg
    5174FAD7-C858-4E3F-80F1-A5BB0CE714AC.jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 202
  • D39F4AAE-0FEA-41AE-9F90-EE4556208D66.jpeg
    D39F4AAE-0FEA-41AE-9F90-EE4556208D66.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 5EBA3C43-24E5-4243-8C02-8649DAF03471.jpeg
    5EBA3C43-24E5-4243-8C02-8649DAF03471.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

How about a reserve tank ( they tend to empty quickly) or a good quality foot pump if you have the energy.

jeporter02

How about a reserve tank ( they tend to empty quickly) or a good quality foot pump if you have the energy.
I don't have a foot pump, but I did try a bicycle pump. It works, but you've got be fast and have the stamina to keep it up for about 3 minutes!

JohnU

I would have never thought to add water to my tank. I'm always concerned with removing moisture since some resins I use are so sensitive to it. But if it works for you…. Go with it!

jeporter02

Decreasing the fillable space is a great idea. But as @JohnU mentioned, alumilite hates moisture.what about using sand instead of water?
I've done three blanks thus far and not had any trouble, though I'm not sure how moisture adversely affects alumilite, so perhaps I'm not seeing it. Sand would be an option, but actually fills a lot less space than you think, when you're trying to displace air. Additionally, I have to store my pressure pot between uses, so keeping it filled with sand or water makes it difficult to move. Pouring out water into a drain is pretty easy, but emptying sand and either storing it separately or having to replace it each time I use the pot is also problematic.
Out of curiosity, how does moisture affect alumilite? I live in an extremely wet environment, and work outside, so it would be good to know what to watch for as fair as resin failure.

Brian G

Would using something like plaster in the flower pot accomplish the same thing?

It would make the pot heavy, but wouldn't risk moisture or contamination with other particles.

SteveG

If you want to utilize a non-water filler (heavy, difficult to store), perhaps you could put the whole assembly on wheels of some type, and store where you can just roll it out of your way.

DRBOOMER

Alumilite Urethane resin foams up and turns white. I'm not sure what happens with Alumilite epoxy resin.
I found that Alumilite's epoxy resin is a bit more tolerant. If I have some wood pieces sitting around and decide to use them on a whim, epoxy doesn't care as much if the wood isn't fully dried. It'll still stick, but you do have to pressure pot it or it will bubble. Sometimes I feel lazy and don't want the extra steps of drying and stabilizing.. lol

Top Bottom