Pressure Casting HELP! Cheap way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Some people use pickle jars. Scares the H out of me but they would be cheap. Then just plumb a female airhose quick connect to the lid. Hook up your air compressor hose with a male-male connector and dial up the pressure you want; disconnect the adapter from the lid and you are pressured. Plug just the adapter into the lid to release pressure.

Cheap. ???Safe??? But cheap.

GK

sbell111

I've stabilized lots of blanks under vacuum in a pickle jar, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it under pressure. Luckily, a paint pot from Harbor Freight is very inexpensive.

pssherman

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

Is there any other way to get set up for about 40 bucks?
Yes, use 4 inch schedule 40 (or 80 if available) PVC pipe and some fittings. The chamber won't be very large but it will work. Make sure you get 'solid core' pipe, not the 'foam core'. The core type should be printed on the side of the pipe. If it isn't, look at the end. Solid core will have a uniform appearance while the foam core will look like there is a 'spongy' portion with solid material on the inside and outside. The recommended safe working pressure should be labeled along the side of the pipe. The burst pressure is well above the working pressure.

1JaredSchmidt

Is there any tutorial on how to get set up? Also,is there anyone that can tell me or give me a tutorial on how to stabilize and pressure cast blanks? Thanks for your help!

pssherman

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

Is there any tutorial on how to get set up? Also,is there anyone that can tell me or give me a tutorial on how to stabilize and pressure cast blanks? Thanks for your help!
Yep. Check out the IAP library. Here is a link to the index (thanks to Randy_):
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31215

I think you will find what you are looking for there.

Jarheaded

I did a lot of testing on the HF pots. They held up at 200psi. Please don't use a jar. That would be as silly as drilling out a primer from a 30-06[:0], maybe worse. I make my pots for 50-60 dollars and they will last a long time. There are a couple of tutorials on how to make them safely.

JayDevin

Jared, be safe, be patient, save your money untill you can afford the HF paint pot and do this right. some things are worth waiting for, and there is NO RESET button on life!

its_virgil

The question asked was with reference to PRESSURE casting. I don't think anyone has posted using pickle jars or any other glass vessel for pressure casting...but for vacuum yes. Just be careful. I would stay away from glass jars for pressure casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by gketell

Some people use pickle jars. Scares the H out of me but they would be cheap. Then just plumb a female airhose quick connect to the lid. Hook up your air compressor hose with a male-male connector and dial up the pressure you want; disconnect the adapter from the lid and you are pressured. Plug just the adapter into the lid to release pressure.

Cheap. ???Safe??? But cheap.

GK

altaciii

Its really not that expencive. I read curtis seebecks tutorial and followed it to the letter. Spent total for HF pot and brass fittings, $68. The problem becomes the purchase of more stuff to use in the pot. You can let your imagination run wild with stuff you want to create...... Good thing I have a wife to pull back the reins.

loglugger

Jared, Some place some one wrote about casting without vacumn or pressure. Was just very careful when mixing and pouring, some set the caseing on there air compressor to viberate the bubbles out of the mix. Maybe some can chime in as to where to find it.
Bob

sbell111

I've done a lot of PR casting without pressure/vacuum. As long as you aren't casting anything into the resin, there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do it that way with alumilite, since it sets up much faster, which could allow bubbles to be caught in suspension, I guess.

Firefyter-emt

Jared, I recently added a part list to a post where all the fitting to set up for casting and vacuum was just $19.99 plus shipping. The vast cost of these were just for the vacuum pump. I think you could get into the tank for $50.00 (psi only) if you can pick up the tank local, HF shipping is expensive.

If you already have a compressor and a pressure hose all you need is the HF pressure paint pot, a pack of industrial air couplers, a shutoff valve, a little WD40 for the gasket in the pot. Get some resin and pigments and you are good to go.

$39.99 for the P-pot. (when on sale @ HF)
$2.00 for the couplers. (when on sale @ HF)
$6.00 for the shutoff valve. (approx $ at your local Home Depot or Lowes)
$47.99 before any applicable local taxes.

I didn't include the WD40 as you probably have some or similar in your house or garage.

J

jackrichington

OK pressure canning for food is about 15psi and it uses canning jars that survive this over & over..I believe it is causing a vacuum in the jar...??? Therefore, it stands to reason for an idiot, that one could use vacuum in a glass canning jar in a pressure canner??? Yes No///

KenV

You can pull a vacuum in a glass jar in a pressure canner in good condition safely. You should expect to pull the pressure safety gasket out of it's recess and lose the vacuum at least some of the time. That is because a pressure canner is not designed to pull and hold a vacuum. It is designed and built to hole a pressure of up to about 15 psi with some safety factor. The pressure canners do have a safety venting system, generally a gasket that blows out at a pressure a bit higher than 15 pounds. When it blows, it does so in a spectacular manner.

All of this is to suggest that for the princely sum of $40 or so for a pressure vessel, it is not worth your body parts, or the risk to others to make a pressure/vacuum vessel out of a pressure canner. There are similar reason not to use pvc pressure pipe for compressed air.

The good news is that you cannot pull a vacuum over a nominal 15 psi and with most gear not even that. The bad news is that vacuum is not the complete answer to dealing with bubbles in resins -- and most head towards pressures over that considered safe in a canning pressure cooker.

J

jackrichington

Thank you Ken for the info...I understand what you so kindly responded..

Top Bottom