Preferred position for embellishments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duderubble

If you are doing a celtic knot or some kind of Inlay or segmented design in a two barrel pen, where do you prefer to put it? On the bottom barrel or the top? Does it matter if it's a twist like a cigar or a removable cap? Part of me thinks the top barrel, It's often larger but then the cap covers part of it and might detract.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, photos encouraged.

Kenny Durrant

I always start at the top being the clip end or cap. If I have two "Items" I'll put the main one on top. I'd put a Celtic Knot on top and leave the pen or nib end plain. As far as logos or knots they would go on top and engraving or names I'd put on the bottom. As mentioned in an earlier thread I have the name as they would read it while writing so that would change if they were left or right handed.
Now to stir the pot a bit. Everyone's born right handed until they make their first mistake then they switch over to the left.

jttheclockman

This is just a matter of choice and taste. I think many times it comes down to what is the entire pen looks like. Now if you have one item and the other half of the blank is blank I probably would put the item in the cap. I am working on a pen that I will be putting the knot in the bottom but the top has an item too. Will post when done. No right or wrong. You could look through some pen photos in the Show off your pen forum and maybe get some ideas. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Richard92

I like to put some top and bottom. Even on a cheap pen kit it makes it look great. I onl do this as a hobby so time and cost doesn't matter to me.

20200524_191045.jpg

Top Bottom