Pre-Glued Edge Banding for Segmenting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Most of the edge banding veneer I find comes with either 3M pressure sensitive tape or pre-glued with a heat activated adhesive. Has anyone tried using the iron-on veneer for segmenting? - Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I've had such bad luck with the stuff, I would be afraid to try segmenting with it. I'll spare you all the photos of where my edge banding has come off. I've been told, I don't apply it correctly.

egnald

Just curious from a segmenter, what would you use edgebanding for? If for a pen I am lost.
Hi John,

Since it comes in 3/4 + a little wide rolls, I thought it would be the perfect veneer as a separator between the segments - just cut it to length and apply. But the adhesive they use on the heat activated adhesive has me concerned. Unfortunatly to make it easier to apply to plywood, most either already has a heat activated glue or even pressure sensitive on one side already.

Dave

Darios

Since it comes in 3/4 + a little wide rolls, I thought it would be the perfect veneer as a separator between the segments - just cut it to length and apply. But the adhesive they use on the heat activated adhesive has me concerned. Unfortunatly to make it easier to apply to plywood, most either already has a heat activated glue or even pressure sensitive on one side already.

I see options for non-glued edge banding ala here - might those work?

jttheclockman

Hi John,

Dave
Dave I thought that is what you might say. My thing to that is that is way to thin for a banding segment in my opinion. Plus if you go with the adhesive back you would definitely see the adhesive. They sell all kinds of wood veneers and you can buy different thicknesses if that is the way you want to go but again a warning if you get into burl veneers you will never see the burls on edge like that. Would not be my choice of material for Seperators as you call it. Good luck.

Bope

I use the iron on banding when making plywood boxes. even there I sometimes have to work to hide the adhesive once trimmed. On a pen I think you will see the white line of the adhesive. As others have said there are a lot of other non-adhesive veneers your can find. I would try those.

Top Bottom