Practice material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

Hello everyone

I was just curious if anyone had suggestions as to the best material to practice with - as I'm thinking about my pen prototype I can see practicing a few thread and length setups. Not paying $12-$15 a pop for kitless alumalite bars would be ideal. My inclination is just to use scrap blanks as it doesn't really matter if they match, but I was wondering what other folks started out with. I am fairly new to turning, so I don't have a stockpile of acrylic scraps at the moment.

Thanks!
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Goat

Go to the local Lowes and pick up free samples of hardwood flooring. Some are too thin, but some are just fine. You can also try any local cabinet shops to see if they have hardwood scraps.

Old Goat

We have one local wood shop that actually sells cutoffs from floor/decking already cut into pen blanks for a buck each. Still get some nice Ipe, Brazilian cherry, oak, and hickory

dogcatcher

Dumpster diving the local cabinet shops has provided me with $1000s of hardwoods. Cherry, walnut, maple, and some exotics. Usually milled to 1×2 size which is 3/4×1 1/2.

40 years they threw scraps in the dumpster, today some try to sell the scraps to crafts people. My best source from the 70s to 90s no longer even has a rollaway dumpster, they sell the scraps and burn it in the winter for heat. But the smaller shops still throw it away.

InkyMike

Thanks everyone - I do have some scraps of wood blanks I can use. I had no idea woodcraft sold grab bags - our (somewhat) local store had them in stock. I'm going to check those out.

Brian G

If I understand correctly, you'd prefer resin blanks for practice, and you'd rather use Alumilite (assuming you mean urethane).

If that's correct, send me a private message with your mailing address. I will send a SFRB with some self cast urethane resin blanks too ugly to make into pens. My bucket 'o shame needs emptying.

Velcrodog

If I understand correctly, you'd prefer resin blanks for practice, and you'd rather use Alumilite (assuming you mean urethane).

If that's correct, send me a private message with your mailing address. I will send a SFRB with some self cast urethane resin blanks too ugly to make into pens. My bucket 'o shame needs emptying.
our local lumber yard gives us really good cut offs, domestic wood only, but they are sometimes suitable for medium size bowls. They are very nice and accomadating. I am making them some items from the wood they have given me to show my appreciation.

jalbert

duncsuss

This ^^^

Using clear (cast - not extruded) acrylic acetate allows you to see what you are doing inside the pen parts. 3/4" is good for barrels and caps, you can probably get away with 1/2" for sections - but a 4 foot length of 3/4" clear has lasted several years. (I only use it when I'm prototyping something new.)

InkyMike

Sadly it costs almost as much for shipping as it does for the rod - I have a plastics place not too far from me. I can see if I can source it locally. In the meantime I do have some wood blanks and scrap I can use and Brian G has graciously offered to send me some scrap from his ugly bucket.

Thanks everyone!
Michael

pssherman

Sadly it costs almost as much for shipping as it does for the rod - I have a plastics place not too far from me. I can see if I can source it locally. In the meantime I do have some wood blanks and scrap I can use and Brian G has graciously offered to send me some scrap from his ugly bucket.

Thanks everyone!
Michael
You can look at McMaster-Carr. They have cast acrylic by the foot. That 4 foot piece probably has a premium shipping price because of the length.

Paul in OKC

Thanks everyone!
Michael
See if they have some small (3/4") delrin rod. Cuts and threads well. Makes a great practice material. I have some but not sure how long ago I got it, but wasn't too expensive. Can make a whole pen out of it.

jimgodoy

Hello everyone

I was just curious if anyone had suggestions as to the best material to practice with - as I'm thinking about my pen prototype I can see practicing a few thread and length setups. Not paying $12-$15 a pop for kitless alumalite bars would be ideal. My inclination is just to use scrap blanks as it doesn't really matter if they match, but I was wondering what other folks started out with. I am fairly new to turning, so I don't have a stockpile of acrylic scraps at the moment.

Thanks!
Michael
If you're just looking for practice alumilite blanks I might be able to help. We have several that didn't make the cut over the years. Most have some bubbles but they still turn just fine. You just wouldn't want to use them for any finished products. I just couldn't toss them. If interested shoot me a message and we can work something out.

InkyMike

If you're just looking for practice alumilite blanks I might be able to help. We have several that didn't make the cut over the years. Most have some bubbles but they still turn just fine. You just wouldn't want to use them for any finished products. I just couldn't toss them. If interested shoot me a message and we can work something out.
Great - can you just add them in to the order I mentioned to you? Thanks!

Michael

Top Bottom