PR shelf life

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

OK, I am an Alumilite guy...love the stuff. need to pour some ribbons that will be much happier in PR. found an unopened gallon can of PR, AT LEAST 2 1/2 years old in the corner of the shop. poured a couple ounces in a cup, added catalyst, went to dinner and came home to a clear, beautiful block o' resin. I had heard a variety of shelf life stories and am wondering, did I just get lucky or are there any down sides to OLD PR?

PTownSubbie

Normally people say 6 months but I think that depends on the conditions it is stored in....

Usually, if my memory serves me correctly, it is the MEKP that goes bad because it oxidizes with the oxygen in the air as it sits.

Maybe you got lucky? I would give it a try unless you can't reproduce whatever you are casting.

DozerMite

Banned
I have used PR that is past the expected shelf life many times. I have a can that is over a year old that I have been using and haven't had any problems with it. I just turned and finished a blank about 15 minutes ago for a guy at work. It looks very nice and no problems with turning or finishing.

It does take longer to gel and cure.

Top Bottom