PR resin shelf life ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregf

Reading all of the info I can find on PR, I see that the resins have a 6 month shelf life.

What happens when you are past the shelf life ?
What are the symptoms of too old resin?
Does it not cure ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Greg:
I use a lot of Silmar 41. I have had unopened gallon containers ( I buy in 5 gallon buckets and transfer it to new "paint stire" 1 gallon containers for ease of use) that have worked Perfectly well after 18 months.

I am no expert on resins or materials storage, but I suspect that keeping the resins stored with very little container air space,in a cool, dry space will extend the life.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've had it last over a year, too.. but it does start to get thicker. I'm not sure what
that does to the cross-linking, if anything. But I know heat can make that worse.
The resins we get tend to be pre-promoted, so they will cure on their own given enough
time or heat. (even un-opened)

its_virgil

...8 mos from the time of manufacture, not from the time you opened the can you purchased. That is one reason to purchase from a resin dealer or one of the larger art suppliers like Douglas and Sturgess or any place that sells a lot of it, and not from the hobby stores....plus, it is cheaper.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Reading all of the info I can find on PR, I see that the resins have a 6 month shelf life.

What happens when you are past the shelf life ?
What are the symptoms of too old resin?
Does it not cure ?

Top Bottom