Powermatic Benchtop Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Has anyone had a chance to try Powermatic's new 2014 Benchtop Lathe? It looks like a beast! Expensive, but I think most of Powermatic's products are worth the $. I'd be interested in your opinions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I bought one during the 15% off sale. It is an excellent machine. I also bought the legs (these could be beefier) and the 13" bed extension. No regrets.

Jay

I also bought it on sale with legs and extension. Love it, but can't compare it to anything other than my Shopsmith lathe. Not really in the same league.

turnit2020

That lathe was well rec'd at the store I work at. So well rec'd they would not be available until mid July. Folks that bought them have said they really like them and the quality is great.

Jay

Steve, The Powermatic 2014 is far superior to the Shopsmith lathe function. However, the Shopsmith does so much more. You can't compare the two to each other. If you want a very good lathe get a designated lathe. I felt that the Powermatic 2014 met my needs and fit in my space available. If you want the the best multi tool machine then get the Shopsmith. I love them both at the present time.
Jay

SteveG

I have purchased the PM 2014 with extension, and am thrilled with what it offers. I have built a stand instead of purchasing one. The extension allows a 20 inch swing, and the overall build seems heavy enough. No regrets...would do it all over again. One issue: l had set the remote switch on top of the headstock, with the buttons facing up. In short order, the unit malfunctioned. Tech support says dust got in around the buttons, causing the problem. Blow out with compressed air did not fix, so replacement is on the way. I was advised to position the control box in a vertical position. That box really should be dust proof, but is not.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

I think most lathe control boxes are Not dust proof, and have to have openings to dissipate the heat buildup inside. The heat is what killed two Rikon control boxes for me.

Top Bottom