Powermatic 2014 and lathe tailstock swing away

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walko789

Hello all,
I am evaluating the Powermatic PM2014 due to my space and electrical limits and see it has some good reviews and demos from some on the forum. I was looking at the tailstock swing away option and know that Powermatic does not list the 2014 as compatible- I already know it says it is not compatible according to Powermatic.
So my question is does anyone know if it is possible to mount the tailstock swing on the 2014? I can not seem to find the specs for the hole configuration and wonder if it due to the lesser weight of the 2014 versus the bigger brothers- 3520 or 2020?
Any insight is appreciated

Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Robert,

I own the PM2014, and bought the bed extension for it, so I could slide the tail stock out of the way, but am not aware of a swing away option. I love it, its a good weight for working on hybrid and 6" resin handles and bowls, and pens. Also, if you ever have to change the belt or bearings, I wrote up a how to which is in the library.

walko789

Robert,

I own the PM2014, and bought the bed extension for it, so I could slide the tail stock out of the way, but am not aware of a swing away option. I love it, its a good weight for working on hybrid and 6" resin handles and bowls, and pens. Also, if you ever have to change the belt or bearings, I wrote up a how to which is in the library.
thanks for the info. and suggestion. Here is the swing away

greenacres2

More likely the bed ways on the 2014 would not align with the 20" big brother. I love my swing away (Robust Sweet 16), but in absence…I've seen wheeled carts with wooden ways that butt up to the so the tail stock can be slid off and rolled away. No reason it couldn't be part tool rack with accessory storage.
Can't find pics in a quick search…but when you find pics you'll understand.
Earl
edit..mine is actually a tilt away.

walko789

More likely the bed ways on the 2014 would not align with the 20" big brother. I love my swing away (Robust Sweet 16), but in absence…I've seen wheeled carts with wooden ways that butt up to the so the tail stock can be slid off and rolled away. No reason it couldn't be part tool rack with accessory storage.
Can't find pics in a quick search…but when you find pics you'll understand.
Earl
edit..mine is actually a tilt away.
thanks- I just found the youtube video with the cart

RobS

Side note, I know you did not ask: really love the bed extension for getting things out of the way and for making longer handles. Also the head can also slide left and right.

Also Rick made me a custom adapter so I could use my old pen making tool posts (5/8) with the new PM2014, PDF DRAWING INCLUDED.

Attachments

• 2DAB62DC-039F-4CFF-A6F5-8406F6FDB2E7.jpeg
    2DAB62DC-039F-4CFF-A6F5-8406F6FDB2E7.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 70
  • adapter - REV 4.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

walko789

Side note, I know you did not ask: really love the bed extension for getting things out of the way and for making longer handles. Also the head can also slide left and right.

Also Rick made me a custom adapter so I could use my old pen making tool posts (5/8) with the new PM2014, PDF DRAWING INCLUDED.
Thanks Rob! The good news is my tool post is already 1" on my Laguna.

Top Bottom