Pouring Polyresin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I cast with Silmar 41. I get it in 1 gallon cans very similar to what paint thinner, etc comes in. It's messy to pour and hard to dispense small amounts. I'm thinking about trying to find some hose that I can fit over the spout on the can and clamp into place, then I can close off the end of the hose, or just remove it and clean it when I am done. I'm wondering if anyone else has any other solutions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I normally use small amounts, !oz-4oz, at a time. I also weigh most of the resin I use, Alumilite. I go to a local restaurant supply store and buy plastic bottles they sell for different sauces such as ketchup, mustard and barbeque sauce. I fill the bottles from the can and although it's still a little messy I don't have to do it as often and the larger opening is easier to hit.

eharri446

Check with Amazon for the plastic pumps that you see in some places. I got a pack of 6, I believe (getting old sucks), for around 12 dollars.

jttheclockman

Do you know there is a proper way to pour a 1 gallon can?? Many people do not know this. Now I know that resin is tough especially trying to pour small amounts but I do it all the time. On a gallon can the opening or spout is always in a corner and most people presume if they pour close to that corner they can control pour better but they would be wrong. The opposite is true and pour the other way. This allows air to enter the can on top of the liquid and controls splashing. There is probably a utbe video out there showing this. If I have time I will look.

OK I found a link and you will be surprised how many people do not know this trick but now you do. Your welcome. :)

https://lifehacker.com/pour-liquids-out-of-large-containers-with-the-spout-hig-1761015226

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Do you know there is a proper way to pour a 1 gallon can?? Many people do not know this. Now I know that resin is tough especially trying to pour small amounts but I do it all the time. On a gallon can the opening or spout is always in a corner and most people presume if they pour close to that corner they can control pour better but they would be wrong. The opposite is true and pour the other way. This allows air to enter the can on top of the liquid and controls splashing. There is probably a utbe video out there showing this. If I have time I will look.

OK I found a link and you will be surprised how many people do not know this trick but now you do. Your welcome. :)

https://lifehacker.com/pour-liquids-out-of-large-containers-with-the-spout-hig-1761015226

Yup.....pour with the opening at the top.....same with quarts on motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. Been doing this for years.

MRDucks2

I actually did know that. Though I believe I learned it from pouring antifreeze or oil or something like that some years ago. Once you understand it, it changes your perspective on how you pour a lot of things.

crokett

Hmmm. oddly I pour oil that way when I am changing oil in my cars. I didn't think of applying that technique here. I'll try that. I was also thinking of a large syringe, since that will let me dispense more precise amounts of resin.

Top Bottom