Potpourri Mason Jar Toppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RKB

RKB

Family reunion gifts for those special ones that make it work. Stratus pencil for the host too.

Attachments

• D20C427A-0A66-48DF-8F5F-0EF200D5ADF8.jpeg
    D20C427A-0A66-48DF-8F5F-0EF200D5ADF8.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 7FA5471F-39C6-4F08-9395-0B26DB392F28.jpeg
    7FA5471F-39C6-4F08-9395-0B26DB392F28.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 4D418166-BCCC-496B-B764-4B1CF077AA53.jpeg
    4D418166-BCCC-496B-B764-4B1CF077AA53.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 155
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great, Just great, now you added something else for me to try. :p:D

I do like your innovation... I've made potpourri bowls with the lids and jar lids with the jar rings... never thought about combining them.
Are the pewter lids permanently attached to the jar lids and are the jar lids open to use as potpourri?
Either way, well done and very pretty.

Reactions: RKB

monophoto

Are they threaded? Great idea.
Yes - the easy way. Turn a jar lid from wood that has a mortise to receive a standard metal Mason jar ring, and then just glue it into the wood.

I do this to make 'cookie jars' with wooden tops using recycled pasta sauce jars - the key difference is that instead of using only the metal Mason jar ring, I use a metal or plastic Mason jar lid. I also make elegant pill bottles (that look nicer when arrayed on the kitchen table - something that most of us geezers have to deal with) - I recycle bottles and jars that originally held jams, spices, olives or capers, etc. I've also taken it a step further by turning a wooden sleeve that fits around the body of a small glass or plastic container (pill container from the pharmacy, or one of those single-serving marmalade jars found in the breakfast room of hotels in Europe) to make a pill container that appears to be made entirely of wood, but that in fact has a glass or plastic inner liner.

Rod took this a step further by turning an opening in the turned top to receive the metal popourii casting,. If you are into piercing, you could dispense with the metal popouri lid and replace it by adding a pierced pattern in the wooden jar top.

penicillin

I am impressed with the art and workmanship. Very nicely done!

I have no idea how these are made, nor how the wood rings are integrated with the lids or threaded to match the jars. Can you share a few hints?

monophoto

I have no idea how these are made, nor how the wood rings are integrated with the lids or threaded to match the jars. Can you share a few hints?
There was an article on the basic concept of turning wooden storage jar lids in recent issue 348 of Woodturning Magazine.

The standard Mason jar used in home canning has a two part metal closure consisting of a threaded ring and a metal plate with a gasket attached to the bottom. Users are expected to heat the filled container, place the plate on top of the jar, and then loosely thread the ring in place. As the contents of the jar cool and contract to create a vacuum in the airspace at the top of the jar, the metal plate is drawn down to seal the container. But many food items are sold in jars that are the same size as Mason jars but with one-piece metal or plastic screw lids, and it is also possible to purchase both one-piece (plastic) and two-piece (metal) replacement lids in supermarkets. So the nature of the project determines which type closure is required.

The concept for this project is very simple - start with a square scrap of wood that is larger than the diameter of the jar lid, and thicker than the height of the lid. My experience is that 3/4" dimension lumber will work, but starting with a full 4/4 blank makes life easier. Find the center of one face; press the blank against the jaw face of a scroll chuck, and turn to round. Cut a tenon on the headstock side of the blank, and then remount gripping the tenon in the chuck jaws, and turn a mortise in the tailstock side that is slightly deeper than the height of the lid (or jar ring), and that has a diameter such that the lid or ring will fit snugly into the mortise. I generally start the mortise with a Forstner bit, and then fine tune both the depth and diameter using a box scraper. Remount using the chuck in expansion mode to grip the mortise, and finish the top of the lid. as desired. Sand and apply finish, and then glue the jar lid into the mortise; I prefer epoxy, but polyurethane glue works and others have found that this is a great application for hotmelt glue.

Potpouri lids are sold by a number of suppliers including both PSI and CSUSA; they are metal castings (often pewter) with a tenon on the bottom. When making a potpouri jar, first measure the diameter of the tenon, and then while holding the blank in the mortise described above using the chuck in expansion mode, cut an opening through the top of the blank that is the same diameter as the tenon on the potpouri lid. Apply a small amount of glue on the tenon, and press it into the top mortise. Since potpouri jars must be open to allow the aroma to escape, glue a Mason jar ring (not lid) into the bottom mortise.

Not sure how Louie does his, but here are a couple I've done showing the rings...

25-886-2.JPG
254030 (3).JPG
254034 (4).JPG

I don't use the lids as he does, but would be a simple step to glue them in place inside the rings. I do both standard and wide mouth rings...

Top Bottom