Potential Scam Alert -

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Many of us will recall the spam mailings that we received offering subscription renewals on Woodturning Design magazine - long after the magazine had gone out of business.

Today, I receive a subscription renewal invoice for Woodcraft Magazine that looks very much like the notices we received for Woodturning Design. The invoice was from a magazine subscription service, not from the publisher of the magazine. I've never had a subscription to Woodcraft Magazine.

Be aware that there are scammers out there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouCee

Thanks for letting us know. It's been several years but I did have a subscription to Woodcraft magazine. I haven't received this yet but thanks for the heads up.

walshjp17

I received one of the Woodcraft Magazine subscription renewal emails as well. It was immediately sent to the junk bin.

penicillin

-> If you do not have computer technical skills, you may want to skip this post.

Create Your Own Domain for Email

I have my own domain, like "example.com" or "example.org". Having your own domain gives you knowledge, power, and control over your email, along with many other advantages. For those whose technical experience is limited, there is definitely a learning curve to do it. With my own domain, I can create email addresses like "penturner@example.com" or pen-maker@example.org". It is so easy and fast that I can create a special email address and give it someone while I am talking with them on the phone.

I have very few actual email accounts. Instead, I have a large number of email "forwarders" (also known as "aliases"). They are separate email addresses that forward to my primary email account.

I create a separate, unique email address (forwarder) for each company, website, or whatever. The email all forwards to my primary email account. I create email addresses like "penicillin-exoticblanks@example.com", "penicillin-mckenziepenworks@example.com", "penicillin-rickscustomtools@example.org" etc.

In this case, @monophoto might have created a forwarder like "mp-woodturningdesignmag@example.com". When the spam started after Woodturning Design sold their database or got hacked, monophoto could have deleted the forwarder.

Advantages of Using Your Own Personal Domain for Email:
  • I know the origin of every email I receive. I know who sells my email addresses to whom.
  • If I get spam at a given email address, I have a good idea whose customer database got hacked.
  • If I get unwanted email from a certain source and they ignore "unsubscribe" requests, I can delete the email forwarder that I created for them. The unwanted email stops immediately. No waiting. It goes away.
  • If too many people get an email address, it is easy to create a new email address.
    • If too many merchants get my PayPal email address and start spamming my inbox, then I create a new email forwarder for PayPal, update the PayPal website, and then delete the old forwarder. Problem gone.
  • If you move to a new location and change your internet service, you still have the same personal email addresses, etc. Nothing changes. No notifications.
    • Yes, I realize that people now use Gmail and other services, freeing dependence on the email address from your internet provider ... at the cost of letting them see all your email. Too high a price, in my opinion.
  • "Big Data" companies see less of your personal information and other email activities, because much of your email bypasses them.
    • If you send or receive a message from someone with a Gmail account, then Google will still see it and know a little about you, even though your email service is more private.
Risks of Using Your Own Personal Domain for Email:
  • If someone hacks your email hosting service, they get all of your email forwarders and email addresses. That could become a lot of spam. If you are not good at security, keep that in mind.
  • Hosting email has its own issues.
    • I strongly recommend that you use a known reliable email hosting service for your domain's email, rather than hosting it on your own server.
      • They know what it takes to have reliable email. These days, it is not easy for one person.
      • They know how to keep mail servers up and running.
      • They know how to keep spammers out to prevent themselves from being "blacklisted" by the big players. Blacklisting is common.
    • The big players like Gmail, Microsoft, and Yahoo often reject messages from self-hosted email servers, virtual private servers (VPS), etc. Fixing the issues is like "whack-a-mole" - they keep popping up.
    • Honestly, hosting your own email on your own personal server (like a home server or a VPS) is too much effort. You will waste a lot of time dealing with blocked email. Trust me, the effort is not worth it. Find a good hosting service with good email experience.
Owning your own personal domain (like "example.com") lets you do far more than just email. You can host your own personal website, for example - display your pens, start a blog about your pen making, etc. It requires a certain level of technical knowledge, but many people here have their own websites.

Some services make it easier to own and manage your own domain for less technical people, but they can be expensive. (I intensely dislike GoDaddy and do not recommend them. GoDaddy is expensive. They provide good support, but even the support people will try to "upsell" all kinds of services and features you do not need. I know GoDaddy well, because I have helped a few friends and local charities that made the mistake of signing up with them.)

Apologies for the long, technical post, but I wanted to plant this seed for those who want to think about the bigger picture.

Last edited:

penicillin

P.S. While writing the post above, I received an email message. The email message was sent to my email address that is very similar to "penicillin-pennstateindustries@example.com".

The email message was the typical email ad for Penn State Industries, the company that sells pen making supplies. I bought supplies from them in the past. When I placed the order with them, I gave them a unique email address, just for their use.

If "penicillin-pennstateindustries@example.com" ever receives a spam message like "Handbags 50% Off!" or "You've Been Hacked!", then I would have a starting point to guess where the spammer might have gotten the email address. That has never happened with Penn State. The email was their normal email advertisement.

Added later:
I have uncovered many companies whose customer databases may have been hacked or were provably hacked. Sadly, that includes woodworking tool companies and companies in the security business who should know better.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Many of us will recall the spam mailings that we received offering subscription renewals on Woodturning Design magazine - long after the magazine had gone out of business.

Today, I receive a subscription renewal invoice for Woodcraft Magazine that looks very much like the notices we received for Woodturning Design. The invoice was from a magazine subscription service, not from the publisher of the magazine. I've never had a subscription to Woodcraft Magazine.

Be aware that there are scammers out there.
yeah, I got that too.

Top Bottom