Postable or Non postable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

My last Junior Gent and Junior George have been somewhat difficult to post the cap on the pen body. The treads don't seem to fit well and I have to manipulate the cap to find the proper fit. Is this common or am I doing something wrong? What do you typically use, postable or non-postable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

As to preference with kit pens, definitely non-postable . I don't like the look of the threaded end cap and they all feel out of balance when posted to me.

egnald

I am on the postable side of the fence unless they are extra long and made to be part of a desk set. I also prefer pocket clips. No special reasons, just personal preference. - Dave

egnald

Dave, have you found the postable threads to be difficult sometimes? I think I know what you mean but can you tell me what pocket clips are?
So far I haven't had any problems with threads. I mostly use Legacy Jr. Gents and Smitty's Caballero kits. As for clips I mean the plain old clips that are on the cap of two part pens and those that are on the top of twist and click styles.

I'm not anti postable, I just prefer the postable ones. In fact I recently had Rick Herrell make a custom pin chuck with an integral bushing so I can make some closed end Caballero pens which are obviously not going to be postable.

Dave

pewitmer

For me it depends on the type of kit I use. I prefer the non postable on my more expensive pens as they look much better without the threads on the cap being visible. When I use the less expensive kits I prefer the postable cap as the cap adds to the overall balance to the pen design. These are also the 'grade' of pens where the user tends to have caps drop, roll away and such. I also have not had any of the issues with the threading you're experiencing.

All my premium pens are made as non postable. To me it adds a more elegant look to a great pen.

Paul

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was taught, decades ago, to turn a nut counterclockwise to engage the threads before attempting to "thread it onto" a bolt.
In my penmaking, I have always used this method to avoid "cross-threading" the cap or finial threads.

I believe (from some of the complaints we get) that this is a lost technique--too bad, it saves a lot of grief.

montmill

The treads make a different too I think. The bottom is a new Junior Gent, the middle an older Junior Gent and the top one a Desire from McKinsey Pen Works. They range in difficulty from bottom to top with the bottom being the most difficult. Look at the thread count and machining of the threads. Don't you think that makes a difference?

threads.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I understand it, from doing fountain pen shows, the purpose of the threading is to make it easy to post the cap.
Many define "easy" as one full turn at a maximum. So, the pen community resorted to wide threads.

sorcerertd

I don't have a problem with the threaded end being there, but I do not like the balance with the cap posted. Also, I 100% agree with @ed4copies about turning counterclockwise until you hear/feel a slight click when the threads "catch". It can save you a lot of aggravation. That's in general, not just with pens.

Top Bottom