Post your Oct 2016 PITH Photos Here...Teasers are Welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

I got my PITH package yesterday from Tom (tomtedesco)! Everything looks great! This is the first PITH I've taken part in. Thank you, Tom, for making it a great one!

I've got a Sierra Button Click pen with a shredded money blank (great choice back painting it a nice forest green)! I haven't even made one of these kits before, so it's a great start for my PITH collection! I got a couple spectraply blanks (also never used these before) and I'm excited to try them out! I think a couple of these blanks were made by Tom and they've got some great depth and color to them! I'm not 100% sure about the two wood blanks, but I think one is walnut. No clue what the other one is, but it's got great figure on it (see the first picture)!

Again, thanks a bunch Tom! Such an early bird! I hope you like what I've sent!

Attachments

• IMG_8634_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8634_1440x1080.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_8633_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8633_1440x1080.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_8635_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8635_1440x1080.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 308

tomtedesco

My PITH from Sappheiros arrived a few days ago. I beautiful bolt action pen and blanks that I can't wait to turn. My camera and computer are having a spat and refusing to talk to each other, will post photo when they make up. Thanks Avi, you make the PITH a fun event. Thank you SSobel for taking the time to set this up.

flyitfast

Swap with Jon Tello

Received my PITH Swap pen from Jontello today. WOW! What a partner!!
Not only did Jon send a Rollerball pen to knock your socks off, but he also included a awesome group of blanks.
Attached are pictures of the pen and blanks he sent.
Thank you Jon.

Also, Thank you to Steven (SSobel) for organizing this Swap and to IAP for all the promotions for members. This is a great way to enjoy the work of other members and a great way to "meet" new friends.

Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

Mr Vic

PITH from Edgar

Here's my PITH Pen and Goodies From Edgar. A Zen Roller Ball dressed up in Cross Cut Philippine Acacia. He tossed in a nice acrylic blank along with several Pecan and Camphor. The others are label and you can see in the picture. The pecan burl looks awesome and I'll have to make a special pen with it.

Thanks Edgar. Good job.

I need to redo the finish on the pen I'm sending your way. Should go out before the weekend.

Attachments

• 2016 Oct PITH-01.jpg
    2016 Oct PITH-01.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 270
  • 2016 Oct PITH-02.jpg
    2016 Oct PITH-02.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 220

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Vic, I'm glad you like it.

The Ph Acacia blanks came from a cutting board that I picked up on my last trip to Hawaii - I think they call it Roadside Acacia over there.

Mr Vic

The Ph Acacia blanks came from a cutting board that I picked up on my last trip to Hawaii - I think they call it Roadside Acacia over there.

Unfortunatly the pictures doesn't show the color change as the light hits it at different angle. Chatoyance doesn't rely define it.

Last edited:

MrPukaShell

Glad that you liked it. I sure hope that you enjoy turning the different woods if you have never had the chance before. The Kona Coffee blank is kind of bland but cool just to say it is "Kona Coffee" while doing a cup. I believe there are some blanks that will make some awesome pens, make sure to post pictures of the results. Always enjoy the swaps, until next time.....

October pith from MrPukaShell all I can say is wow wow.thank you.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Unfortunatly the pictures doesn't show the color change as the light hits it at different angle. Chatoyance doesn't rely define it.

Thanks Vic - you're right about the color change on that one -it kinda reminds me of Autumn color changes. I was really surprised & pleased at that effect after I finished it.

That Ph Acacia blank that I included is from the same cutting board, but I'm not sure if it was immediately adjacent to this blank. I hope it will have a similar effect.

penmaker1967

I received my pen from marko50 is was a nice sierra pen with what looked like one of his homemade copper blanks I would post pics but don't have a camera right now so I asked him to post them for me
thanks so much for the pen it will go into my rowing collection

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pith Pens from Mr Vic and SSobel

I really hit the jackpot yesterday when the mailman delivered two PITH packages. One was from Vic Vickers (Mr Vic) and the other was from Steve Sobel (SSobel).

Vic was my randomly assigned partner and he sent me a gorgeous Wall Street II pen (Elegant Beauty style) dressed in Cholla Cactus with Cripple Creek Turquoise and Antler accents. This is my favorite pen style and Vic hit it out of the park with the blank & finish. He also sent me a great set of blanks: Tiger Wood, Persimmon, Claro Walnut, African Mahogany, Juniper, a couple of pieces of Cholla and some plastic rod.

Vic said that the plastic rod makes great shop pencils - well, I happen to have a couple of shop pencil kits that I've been wanting to try, so one of them will get this plastic blank. I agree that it looks like a great pairing. The juniper came from a 100+ year old fence post. Being an old country boy who has built his share of many miles of fence line over the years, I'm partial to making pens from salvaged fence posts, so I really appreciate this special piece of wood.

Since we had an odd number of participants, Steve and I arranged a swap between us -- it just didn't seem right that the organizer of this PITH should have to sit it out. Steve really outdid himself - he sent me a beautiful Cigar Pen dressed in an awesome Maple Seed Pod casting - I just love the natural autumn colors in this blank - the photo doesn't do it justice. Plus, that's a material that you don't see much in these here parts.

Steve also sent me several blanks that he cast himself, including one that is Fruity Pebbles cast in Alumilite -- that one is going to become my granddaughter's Christmas Pen. There's also a couple of special Silmar 41 castings and a nice piece of Spalted Hackberry from his dad's property in KY. I always like wood with a story!

Thanks guys, there is no doubt that I got the better end of both of these swaps! :)

Attachments

• Pens from Vic & Steve.jpg
    Pens from Vic & Steve.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Pen & Blanks from Vic.jpg
    Pen & Blanks from Vic.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 267
  • Pen & Blanks from Steve.jpg
    Pen & Blanks from Steve.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 259

John Smith

Got my PITH today from Eric(mrgator). Great looking pen and blanks. I am not able to post photos so he said he would. Hope he tells what the pen is, as I am not too good at identifying pens I haven't done.

Thanks Eric

SSobel

20161020_071505.jpg

20161020_071424.jpg

Well, I was flabbergasted when I cam home from night school and found this sitting on my dining room table...WOW Edgar! I love it! I have always wanted to turn a pen from the wood off of "Old Ironsides"!!

I love the cross-cut grain and every little bit of character it has. It really will be a treasured pen. I have placed it on my desk at work (Naval Station Norfolk) for all to admire and to keep their grubby little mitts off of!! :biggrin:

I can't wait to turn some of the other blanks Edgar included in the package.

This has to be the best part about turning. Interacting with other crafters and seeing the joy we give to each other through something so simple.

Superb Job Edgar!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm very happy that you like it Steve - I really enjoyed making this pen for you.

Being cross cut and with the knot inclusions, turning this one was particularly challenging. I really felt like I had accomplished something when I managed to finish this one in one piece. :)

I keep watching the USS Constitution Museum Store for more wood samples, but it's been a while since they've had any available for sale.

glenspens

Jackpot

Got my PITH from Jeff (Skeleton2014) and guess what it came in a hat.
Gold Zen w/Box Elder Burl, Antique Copper Fillibelle w/Patriotc Swirl inlace acrylester and a Gold Compact Key Ring Knife w/KOA and some sweet blanks. A BIG THANKS to JEFF for all the cool stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN6070.JPG
    DSCN6070.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN6069.JPG
    DSCN6069.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN6066.JPG
    DSCN6066.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN6064.JPG
    DSCN6064.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN6067.JPG
    DSCN6067.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 131

Skeleton2014

Feel really embarrassed because my PITH swap partner (Glen/glanspens) gets his pics posted the same afternoon it arrives and I've had my package from him since 10/6!!!! My office (and photo stuff) was torn apart for part of that time, but still no excuse on my part!:redface::redface::redface:

Here's what Glen sent me:

Matching pair of 24k Sedonas (RB and FP) that are so nice, I'm afraid to use them!!! Got a slew of BEB, stabilized by Glen with Cactus Juice and blue dye (BEB from Rockb). He also sent along a beautiful red pine cone blank cast in Alumilite that I can't wait to try!!! Also got some Rosewood, Ebony + Etimoe segmented blank, Probably the nicest PITH I've gotten!!!
Jeff

Attachments

• PITH5.jpg
    PITH5.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 139
  • PITH4.jpg
    PITH4.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 129
  • PITH3.jpg
    PITH3.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 182
  • PITH2.jpg
    PITH2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 116
  • PITH1.jpg
    PITH1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 117

MrPukaShell

Got home today as I knew I had a package waiting. Harley2001 did not disappoint, I am totally pleased with my swap. I have never seen the "Rope Twist" done on a pen before. It holds nice in the hand and feels beautiful. Only problem is my wife took a liking to it too. This pen sure is a keeper. He even included some shipping partners. I had never seen Spalted Ebony or the Blue Mahoe. Thank you for the extras.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 162

Skie_M

Brian and I are both runnin a tad bit late ... both of us posted our pens today, so they'll cross in the mail! I should have some pics up by Friday! :) Very much looking forward to it!

John Smith

Glad you like it Eric. The blank on the pen is one I cast. I did several of them ,and this is the only color I really liked. Someday I may try to do more casting.

Rounder

Randy (Rounder) sent me some very nice stuff!! I'm not sure of the kit, but it is covered in one of George's banksia pod blanks. He even sent me a blank and instructions. I really enjoy these PITH's.

Glad you liked it Scotty. I hope to get pictures of your PITH gift up by this weekend. The kit is a Cabello from Smitty's Pen Works.

Sataro

Postman left a nice package in the box for me today. Received my PITH pkg from BSea today. Wow is really an understatement! I am definitely happy with the pen he sent me. He did a fantastic job on it. I love the rounded end & the custom finial he turned on it. He also included some very nice blanks. Bob casts his own blanks & offered me a choice as to what he could make me. I told him to surprise me with the blanks. Nice surprise all around. Very nice cast blanks & some wood blanks I have never turned before. I am very pleased with the assortment he sent me. A couple of the blanks are already lined up with some kits I want to turn. Thanks again Bob!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Brian G

Brian and I are both runnin a tad bit late ... both of us posted our pens today, so they'll cross in the mail! I should have some pics up by Friday! :) Very much looking forward to it!

Your pony ran fast! The package arrived today. Great stuff that I'll photograph and post the images later this week. Thank you for a great PITH. :)

liljohn1368

I want to say thanks to Chuck (truckfixr) for this beautiful pen and the box of blanks. 2 ancient kauri wood, and the Texas thistle cast in silmar they look really great. again thanks Chuck you outdid yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 112
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Skie_M

Your pony ran fast! The package arrived today. Great stuff that I'll photograph and post the images later this week. Thank you for a great PITH. :)

(Please excuse the Oklahoma accent, I'm wacked out on no sleep and working 12 hour shifts throwing tires! lol ... got woke up in the middle of my "night" by the mailman!)

LOL ... it looks like I waren't the only one usin the Pony Express! I got my package in the mail today! Lemmie dust off the ol shoot-n-stare and we'll have us a look-see...

attachment.php

Oh, look ... gorgeous blanks to be spinnin on mah fancy hunner dolla rig! And a pen kit too! I gonna need them lil thingamabobbers to git that size right, I doan wanna muck it up! (You can't see the detail on it very well with the label in the way, but it's a sierra sized silmar41 cast with cut and textured foil backdrop, leaves, and butterflies, all in different colors, with a lovely copper trim that will match the sierra pen kit itself.) Oh look ... STABILIZED FOG!

An then we gots the awesomeness of all awesomeness! TWO very pleasin pens to behold! (Brian snooped about in my profile and discovered that fishing is another hobby that I enjoy, so he tried out making a "fishing lure" look for a pen! He used reflective tape and lure decorations he found in the fishing section and cast it in silmar41, and paired it up with a black enamel Sierra Vista. It looks awesome, but it's gonna have to stay home!)

attachment.php

I'm thinkin I gonna carry this one round with me a spell, cuz if mah uncle sees t'other one, it's a goner fer sure! (I love my uncle, go fishing and hunting with him all the time, but he'll steal that thing in a hearbeat! The other pen is a "Chimera cast" of a lovely Ruby Alumilite and Buckeye Burl, paired up with a gold Virage Rollerball. It looks and feels awesome!)

attachment.php

(Also, unpictured here is somethin he tossed in for me on the side .... a small bottle of 2P-10 Gel CA glue made for segmenting work, as I was having a few difficulties making my first segmented pen to send out to him! And yes ... once you see it, you might not think it was my first ever segmented pen, but it really is! I also ended up using 18 little tubes of superglue making the blanks, though only ONE blank survived the process! I'll let him post the pics, hehe!)

Attachments

• Both Pens.jpg
    Both Pens.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 355
  • New Carry Pen.jpg
    New Carry Pen.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Stabilized Fog Low.jpg
    Stabilized Fog Low.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 428

wfsteadman

Can someone point me to a link about PITH (Details on process etc...) and how I can get in on the November PITH if there is one?

Skie_M

Can someone point me to a link about PITH (Details on process etc...) and how I can get in on the November PITH if there is one?

Check in this same sub-forum ... one is currently being organized for December that will include an Ornament Swap... there is a sign up thread and then when the time comes, there will be a picture thread for everybody to show off what they got! :)

Typically, you send off a turned and completed pen to a randomly chosen recipient, along with at least 2 blanks. As you can see from my post above, you're more than welcome to send off more ... in fact, I can't seem to figure out how he got all that stuff, plus a little bottle of CA, into one single Small Flat Rate Box! .... tried to put it all back in to carry it outside to take the pics, and it don't fit!

First-timers are welcome, beware that some of us live overseas, so shipping may be higher here and there, and as a result of first-timers being welcome, your best efforts to produce a pen may be different from your partner's best efforts to produce a pen, but that's all part of the fun!

Top Bottom