Post Office Issues"AGAIN"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well I have what he thinks is the post office official deputy,lol,at my local office.He is always giving me an issue about my flat rate envelopes how I can't use tape to hold them shut(I only ship 20-22 7/8" blanks so my total thickness is less then 2")but the rules on the web site say you can use tape???Or they used to anyways.My issue is I walk in with three flat rate envelopes like the last 3,000 that I sent from the same office,he stops me as I drop them off and brings out a copy of something from the main office showing an envelope like mine thick but neatly done and one that has maybe a magazine in it.He tells me that mine is no longer allowed they must look like the flat one so i asked how can they put a 20 lb. limit if all your allowed is a 1/2" thick.So I guess I'm back to cutting all pen blanks @ 3/4 when i was cutting @ 7/8" I can fit 20 or 22 3/4"x5" blanks in the small flat rate box.The USPS is the most inconsistent company I have dealt with,everyone will give you a different answer.Okay I'm done venting about this gunslinger.Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OutofTurnSam

Thats because they are not run like a company. They are run like a branch of the government.

If they were run like a company, this wouldn't be problem.

I recommend UPS. Hope your day improves and you can find a shipping program that works for you =)

I'd suggest that you get a copy of the "Domestic Mail Manual"... it should be posted on the wall somewhere in the post office, but it is HERE online. Copy Section 123 - Rates and Eligibility. Armed with that information, you can enlighten the postal employee that is giving you flack, provided your packages are within the following guidelines.

1.5 Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes

Any amount of material (up to 70 pounds) may be mailed in a USPS-produced
Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box. When sealing a Flat Rate Envelope or Flat Rate Box, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds.

Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container, provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

Tell him to read the Domestic Mail Manual update of March 13th 2008.
Specifically look under Section 123 1.0 and 1.4
Ask him if he is unable to comply with US mail regulations, and if so you will be calling the national inspector general to report your postal station and will specifically mention his name along with your postmaster.

Padre

Wow. The guy at our local post office is great. And our mail carrier is a super guy that is friendly and helpful. I can't believe how bad your guy is! I would talk to his supervisor, if he has one.

Brooks803

Wow...im in a small town so im dealing with the same woman everytime im there. She's always telling people about my pens. She even bought one for her daughters birthday. Man...looks like a nice stamp pen is in her future.

PR_Princess

Welcome Victor!!! You are now a proud card carrying member of the USPS inconsistency club!! :highfive::biggrin:

We have always gotten a chuckle about the same type of packages that we get so much flack about sending at a local PO, seem to get sent to us with no issues.

As a solution though, I would give up on the idea of quoting postal regulations to the Post Office. In the end, it only adds to your own frustration and gets you "labeled". :eek: The best work around that we have found is to go to an a joining PO (we happen to be lucky enough to have several with in a few miles), where the "rules" are different!!

YMMV(a lot)!

IPD_Mrs

Not everyone has the luxury of multiple post offices. I can not imagine not holding a person accountable for their job for fear of being labeled. That is quite sad. :frown:

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Find the regulation online, then print it. Next time he opens his mouth, show it to him, if he balks, ask to see the postmaster and ask for an official complaint form. After going through the postmaster, go online to the USPS website and find the customer service link. Then file a complaint online, you get the trickle down effect, it goes to The top and each level until it is back at the local postmaster. At that point he is more than aware he has a problem "child" on his staff. At this point you should be good to go. If it happens again, call the postmaster, and tell him you are filing another complaint.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not everyone has the luxury of multiple post offices. I can not imagine not holding a person accountable for their job for fear of being labeled. That is quite sad. :frown:

I've had the experience of arguing with two different locations, postal regs in hand. For half an hour each. Turns into a shouting match between two postal employees who, obviously, felt the problem was MY hearing, not THEIR regs.

So, appealed to the region, who told me it was up to the Postal Supervisor, since the rules were "unclear".

So, if you find a national connection, post the name and contact information (should be public record anyhow, so can't violate any rules). I'd LOVE to talk with them.

(Although all of this was before the creation of the small flat rate box which has solved most of our issues)

No two post offices have given me EXACTLY the same answer. And, yes I was reading the postal regs to them, didn't matter, they were shouting THEIR version of the regs, in reply. For a while there were FOUR of them, a quartet, but not in "perfect harmony".:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

phillywood

Victor, what that clerck needs is lots of asparagus in his diet, he is severely constipated and he takes it out on you.:biggrin: I have taped and the box was bulged and no one said anything. or he maybe going through what's called andropause and you got to be his venting venue. :eek:

PR_Princess

Having also lived on the outskirts of Detroit at one point, I know of Warren MI (Victor's location). A quick google search yielded approximately 90 post office listings with a few miles of the Warren PO. (.5 to 15ish miles)

http://www.yellowpages.com/warren-mi/post-offices?page=1

I am sure one or two of these should work. Or, if you wish you can print out your regulations and spend hours debating with the postal service. You will still be at the counter arguing, while my package will have already arrived in my customer's hands.:)

I have had in had printed from the web site the rules for the flat rate envelope(saying it can be held close with tape)yet he still does not care.He is only doing what he has been told to do,okay.I actually shrink wrap my blanks together and make a perfect block to fit into the envelope and have no problem closing them with the adhesive they provide,my issue is this the pull tab at the top is a bad design I think it leads to packages getting ripped open in transit.I got around this by using 2" wide tape to fix my labels to the envelope using an extra long piece along the top of the label near the closing point.I did fine with that for the last two years or so,but now with the picture he showed me things may be changing on the flat rate envelope.I will just have to use the small flat rate box for everything as no other company can ship these small orders for as fair a price as the USPS,or I would have switched four years ago.It will mean that shipping will go up a little on certain orders like stopper blanks that I used to put in the envelope.Got to change with the times right,lol.Victor

Yes i have no issues with offices close I'm in the city(isn't it a pitty I live in the city),but I went to this one because everyone else at that office are sweet as pie(all ladies).Everyone has a smile when i see them(except him),and that is very rare at post offices many of the employees are very rude and unhappy people(???).I left this afternoon telling the guy okay I'll go down the street and drop them off that made him a little mad,lol.Victor

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
must close

Well I have what he thinks is the post office official deputy,lol,at my local office.He is always giving me an issue about my flat rate envelopes how I can't use tape to hold them shut(I only ship 20-22 7/8" blanks so my total thickness is less then 2")but the rules on the web site say you can use tape???Or they used to anyways.My issue is I walk in with three flat rate envelopes like the last 3,000 that I sent from the same office,he stops me as I drop them off and brings out a copy of something from the main office showing an envelope like mine thick but neatly done and one that has maybe a magazine in it.He tells me that mine is no longer allowed they must look like the flat one so i asked how can they put a 20 lb. limit if all your allowed is a 1/2" thick.So I guess I'm back to cutting all pen blanks @ 3/4 when i was cutting @ 7/8" I can fit 20 or 22 3/4"x5" blanks in the small flat rate box.The USPS is the most inconsistent company I have dealt with,everyone will give you a different answer.Okay I'm done venting about this gunslinger.Victor
If you can close the flap and use the glue to hold it shut you can reinforce with tape. Some post office employees seem to think differently but they are wrong. In fact, the post office web site recommends using tape to reinforce corners and edges. They do not have to look pretty.

Victor,... you are taking this in stride my friend, but...

Years ago I had a problem with the IRS. They claimed that I didn't pay my taxes and I had a Postal Monet Order that proved otherwise... I took the MO receipt to the IRS office and they said it wasn't clear enough to make a copy and sent me to the Post Office to get a duplicate copy, which was also not good enough for them. Anyways, the Post Master advised me (on my second trip) to call my congressman's office and tell them what was going on. After the congressional aid called the IRS, I got a phone call from the IRS that same afternoon telling me to not worry about the matter and the case was closed. Three days later I got a hand written apology from some supervisor at the IRS office in Memphis.

So, call your representative and inform them of the treatment you've received. That is part of their job. You might not get any action or satisfaction, but you never know until you try. Who knows, maybe the sour puss at the Post Office will get a little heat out of the deal.

Top Bottom