Possible Workbench/Tools Bench from Home Depot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I saw this today. They are also somewhat height adjustable.

It comes in 2 lengths, I can see setting two lathes on the larger one ($229) assuming the height is right.

Home Depot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

. . . I can see setting two lathes on the larger one ($229) assuming the height is right.

Tony,

I don't think that I would mount a lathe on one of these. Maybe for pens only. When I watched the video I noticed a substantial amount of shaking of the table top when he was adjusting the height of the top. Now imagine an out-of-balance 12 inch bowl blank.

Maybe the whole table was moving on the casters and I'm just talking through my hat since I haven't seen it in person.

FWIW,

Bill

bsshog40

I agree with Bill. I could see the vibration also messing with the adjustment mechanisms, depending on the quality of gears in it. Also, not sure 1.2" of board may warp after a while, also depending on the size of lathe that is mounted on it.

monophoto

My midilathe is mounted on a bench made by attaching a fairly hefty top (edge-glued 2x6 construction timber) mounted on a metal base from an old gas grill. It works, but it's not ideal - it shakes considerably when I get a catch.

So I agree with Bill - this bench might be a bit lightweight for anything more than a midi-lathe used for small turnings.

GaryMGg

It's soooo easy to build a decent to good rack-free bench using 2" X 4" or 6"'s that it doesn't make sense to me to pay a couple to several hundred for an under-performance set-up.
Half-lap joints are easy and very effective.
If someone can't make those—all you need at minimum is a circular saw, speed square and pencil—butt joints and lag bolts work.

Kenny Durrant

I bought one just after Christmas and I think it's great. It's pushed up tight against the wall with the wheels locked so that might be the difference between being steady and shaky. I let a High Schooler turn a pen and it was great to be able to adjust the height with the turn of a crank and not have to get a platform for him to stand on. I also have a Jet Midi Lathe that just sits on the table with no clamps or bolts. Like I mentioned it against the wall with the wheels locked and no issues. I bought the one with the drawers and I wouldn't buy one without those.

Brotherdale

I saw these in HD and after playing with it for a few minutes decided that I will definitely put one in my new shop later this year.

Top Bottom